Camembert all wrapped up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Can't let LoydB LoydB be the only posting member in cheese making.
Inspired by the aforementioned, I started a 1 gallon batch of camembert with milk from our goats.
Started on 11/1. Followed a recipe that included the following cultures.
  • 1/4 tsp C11 Flora Danica (use 20-40% less for raw milk)
  • 1/8 tsp Penicillium Candidum
  • 1/32 tsp Geotrichum Candidum
PXL_20221125_024056964.jpg

PXL_20221125_024112754.MP.jpg

Wrapped them up last night after turkey dinner. Not at pretty as LoydB's, but they smell amazing.

PXL_20221125_024429711.MP.jpg

Yay! More cheese! Those are looking good.

My brie has started developing a decent mold coverage, hopefully ready for Xmas.

Does anyone feel like the smell of the wrapped cheese changes? The day after wrapping, the smell changed from the awesome mushroomy, buttery smell to a much less pleasant vegetal smell.

Any harm in unwrapping one to see what's going on in there?

I've got some brie that will get wrapped in a couple of weeks, will monitor and report back.

Opened the first one today. I've never bought a camembert, but this was delicious. If it gets better than this, sign me up!
PXL_20221210_194537452.jpg
PXL_20221210_194534631.MP.jpg

Only the corners were goopy and none of it runny. I think I'll put the other one back in the ageing fridge for a few weeks.

The smell was distinctly mushroomy and buttery once unwrapped. Something about the wrap must change my perception of the aroma.

Reactions: jaxgatorz and LoydB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky