Calzone and pizza . 7 day fermented dough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Did this a couple weeks ago . Let the dough go a full 7 days in the fridge . I was using up some left overs I had in the fridge .
Took the dough out of the fridge , and let it warm up on the counter .
This is how it's stored .
20200331_135603.jpg 20200331_135726.jpg
Once it warms enough I divided into 4 equal sections , cover and leave on the counter
about 4 hours .
20200331_140140.jpg
Made 3 calzone's . Sandwich pepperoni , Cajun smoked turkey and some
shredded motz .
20200331_181443.jpg
Closed up and cut some slits .
20200331_181450.jpg
Baked them off around 400 . Came out fantastic .
Great chew on the dough , nice crisp outside soft in the middle .
20200331_185753.jpg
Cut shot ,
20200331_190210.jpg
Plated up with some store bought toasted rav's
20200331_190328.jpg
I wanted to try a pizza with the last section of dough
I had rolled it out while I made the calzones .
When I got back to it , I think it had a pulse .
20200331_172139.jpg
Little homemade sauce , and some cheese .
20200331_175516.jpg 20200331_175627.jpg
Homemade pepperoni ,
20200331_175945.jpg
I baked this at a higher temp , 450 .
20200331_182750.jpg 20200331_182848.jpg
Was a great meal , and had some left for the next day .
20200331_185748.jpg

Holding the dough in the fridge
makes a big difference in the taste , texture and working of the dough .

Thanks for looking .

Edit to add dough recipe
500 grams flour I use all purpose
350 grams water
1 tsp salt
1 TBLS white sugar
2 tsp yeast .
2 TBLS olive oil .

I use a stand mixer ,
Add the sugar to the bowl ,
add the water hot enough to dissolve the sugar . ( don't add the yeast until the water cools down )
when the water cools down to 110 degrees , sprinkle the yeast on top .
Let it activate , foam up . Maybe 10 minutes . Just make sure it's alive
Add the olive oil , and mix it around .
Add the flour , then I add the salt on top of the flour .
Mix it to combine , just 30 seconds or so . Turn the mixer off and cover with a towel for 10 minutes .
After the 10 minutes , run the mixer until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl .
Put some olive oil in the bottom of a bowl . Form the dough into a ball . Add to the bowl and flip to cover with oil .
Let rise on the counter an hour or so , double in size which ever you like .
Punch it down .
Oil up a zip lock bag , add the dough and into a fridge for a couple days , or longer .

Last edited:
Looks like the dough recipe I sent you. Works really well doesn't it?
John , actually this is one I've been using along time , but I started weighing the flour which makes a big difference . It's really close to the one you sent me , which is fantastic too .
This is a warm rise before going in the fridge , and has more yeast and sugar plus 2 TBLS of olive oil .

John , actually this is one I've been using along time , but I started weighing the flour which makes a big difference . It's really close to the one you sent me , which is fantastic too .
This is a warm rise before going in the fridge , and has more yeast and sugar plus 2 TBLS of olive oil .
Yours looks great.! Isn't it fun to experiment and find something that is satisfying and call your own.

I have been leaning toward the warm rise version lately. I find it makes a better more pizzeria type/textured crust.

Beautiful looking products there my friend,

John

If anyone would be so kind to share the dough recipe I’d sure appreciate it. I’ve tried a few different recipes and techniques but still haven’t gotten one that blows me away. Thanks

If anyone would be so kind to share the dough recipe I’d sure appreciate it. I’ve tried a few different recipes and techniques but still haven’t gotten one that blows me away. Thanks
I would be happy to send you my recipe.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

John

Reactions: chopsaw
Calzones and pizza look great Chop. Well done

Point for sure
Chris

They both look great! Craving calzones and pizza for some reason now.

Ryan

Those sure look good. The cold fermentation process really is key in the crust taking on more flavor and character. I will make a quick "emergency dough" if need be at times, but really prefer letting it go for several days.

Beautiful piece of work Rich, huge Like! You got me convinced, I'm going to make a batch of dough and put it in the fridge for 5-6 days, always nice to try something new. RAY

Yours looks great.! Isn't it fun to experiment and find something that is satisfying and call your own.

I have been leaning toward the warm rise version lately. I find it makes a better more pizzeria type/textured crust.
Thanks for the comment . Talking with you took what I was doing to the next level , by weighing the flour and water .
I mix dough almost every Sunday , then use it thru the week . Today I'm using the formula you gave me , as it was given . No need to change it because it's that good , and just a bit different . I like it as is .
Thanks again .

Reactions: BandCollector
Calzones and pizza look great Chop. Well done
Thanks Chris .

They both look great! Craving calzones and pizza for some reason now.
Thank you ,,, me too .

Those sure look good. The cold fermentation process really is key
Thanks for the comment . Yeah once you see the difference the cold ferment adds , you won't want it any other way . That's why I mix it up when I don't need it . So its ready when I do .

Beautiful piece of work Rich, huge Like! You got me convinced,
Thanks Ray . Give it a try . Make a full batch . Pull some out at 3 or 4 days . Let the other go a couple days longer . See which you like better . It will get a bit of a smell to it . Just FYI .

Wow!!
Chopsaw's Pizza Parlor is the PLACE !!
Nice Job, Rich!
Thanks bud . I could eat pizza everyday .

Thanks Ray . Give it a try . Make a full batch . Pull some out at 3 or 4 days . Let the other go a couple days longer . See which you like better . It will get a bit of a smell to it . Just FYI .

Thanks bud . I could eat pizza everyday .

So could I, but "Chopsaw's Pizza Parlor" is too far away!!

Bear

Looks great chop. Thanks for the recipe, I might be able to make the dough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky