California Pitmasters Are Creating Their Own BBQ Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like they are doing pretty good for themselves. Wonder how they are handling the lock downs

Sounds like they are doing pretty good for themselves. Wonder how they are handling the lock downs

It is a current article but was likely written before the second shutdown in Cali.

I hope that they have complete success and that we all benefit from some fresh ideas.

Not much of that up here in northern california that I know of. Barriers to entry re: permits, licenses, fees, etc. are excessive in CA. We had a decent spot open in my town only to close 9 months later, poor guy got 3/4ths of the way into opening the business until he found out the city wouldnt let him stick burn as planned. Their statement for closing was driven by our mandatory power outages, just crippled the business. Before covid I use to work in LA area about 12 weeks a year and heard about the pop-ups and underground deals, but they would constantly get shutdown by the health dept. but didn't hear about it being a new wave. Maybe there are some SoCal folks on here that can speak more to it.

Reactions: one eyed jack
I enjoyed that article. Restaurants can serve takeout during this California lockdown, and Q is perfect for that.

Thanks to D.W. for confirming what I've suspected for a long time; that emission regulations are the biggest reason there are basically no decent BBQ restaurants in the state. I too have seen BBQ places open with full parking lots, then disappear practically overnight. You could smell the smoke when they opened, then it goes away. The restaurant either shuts down or switches to a non-smoke type of Q, which is basically roasted meat. Backyard Q to the rescue.

Thanks for your input D.W.. Daspy, and Noboundries. I'm over on the NC coast. Aware that California is pretty leery of all things with even a hint of danger, but I never gave a thought to wood smoke. I can see where it could force smokers trying to do a business, to go underground.

Sure hope you all don't have to worry about backyard smoking, for yourself and family.

It seems to be city based rules. I know getting permits can be rough. It was when I opened a restaurant 30 years ago.

Backyard smoking is fine except for "Spare the Air" days when air pollution is very high. Happens a few times a year like when we have the forest fires or air inversions in the winter.

It seems to be city based rules. I know getting permits can be rough. It was when I opened a restaurant 30 years ago.

Backyard smoking is fine except for "Spare the Air" days when air pollution is very high. Happens a few times a year like when we have the forest fires or air inversions in the winter.

Thanks for the info Daspy. I figure that I could live with not smoking on heavy pollution days. It would probably take some of the fun out of smoking anyway. Especially fire smoke days.

I'm a bad boy, I don't necessarily follow those days from the perspective of needimg to feed my family - except like you mention when the forest fire smoke is miserable. But sometimes you don't know and you're cooking whole chickens and end up with my pic below... Luckily neighbors never complain, but it also helps to share the deliciousness with them too.
20180810_183505.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
D.W. I used to have a neighbor who hated when I BBQ'ed. She called the fire department once. I have two trucks and firemen banging on the door. I said I had ribs on the Weber and they apologiized for bothering me. Following week she called again and the fireman knocked on my door and said ribs again. I said yes. She got a talking to and never was bothered again. I did have another neighbor complain during a spare the air day. These are the neighbors who I wouldn't feed. Other neighbors I would.

• Haha
D.W. I used to have a neighbor who hated when I BBQ'ed. She called the fire department once. I have two trucks and firemen banging on the door. I said I had ribs on the Weber and they apologiized for bothering me. Following week she called again and the fireman knocked on my door and said ribs again. I said yes. She got a talking to and never was bothered again. I did have another neighbor complain during a spare the air day. These are the neighbors who I wouldn't feed. Other neighbors I would.
Sorry to hear that. I agree with you, and it initially crossed my mind - especially when I have to take off an unseasoned smoking log on the rare occasion. At least the fire department was understanding. I'm just outside the bay area, but know many fire and police folk that work bay area municipalities, all great people.

Did you see the one article about the vegan in Berkeley that asked people not to cook bacon in the morning while they were on their morning jog? It was offensive to them :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky