Cajun STyle Turkey Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cappyr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
South Louisiana
Peggy and I picked up a couple turkeys and made what us Cajuns call "cheese" out of them.  We enjoy making it and at a li'l less than $2. a lb. Not only is it delicious, but very economical.  They sell it in stores around here for over $6 a lb.  We like the fact that when we make it ourselves, we control the ingredients.  Nowadays, the stuff ya buy is full of chemicals; ya cant pronounce the fillers.  We know ours is healthy and delicious.  Here's how we do it:

001.jpg

We cut the turkey up like ya cut a chicken.

007.jpg

For this batch we used my Dad's old pot known as Gumbo Jr.

014.jpg

We added onions and bell pepper,

020.jpg

then came Cajun seasoning, "Woo" sauce, hot sauce, and liquid crab boil, then we covered the stuff with water.

023.jpg

ms=5000&itag=w160&sigh=mbd2U6OV-E5fPp-rjF1wlFWGeZQ.jpg

Fired up the burner out on the patio.
027.jpg

Then let it boil for right at 2 hours at a gentle boil.  

ms=5000&itag=w160&sigh=sfVNK_9yAp_sg4T37-_2uLAWxOE.jpg

Once that was done we took the meat out of the pot and put it in a couple dishpans to cool.

030.jpg

After the meat cooled we took it off the bone and strained the broth through a colander to make sure we got out all the little bones.  I should mention we did not boil the livers 'cause they are too strong flavored.  We saved the giblets for future stuffings or rice dressings.

ms=5000&itag=w160&sigh=C7oiyxtqoutOsSyThWqllKAEu6g.jpg

Once it was all ground up we added the broth back, slowly bringing it to a pudding-like consistency

042.jpg

044.jpg

We weighed the finished cheese.
046.jpg

When it was done, we ended up with 7 loaf pans of this delicious Cajun delicacy.  It needs to sit in the fridge so it "sets".  It freezes well, makes good sandwiches, is good cubed as Hor D'Oeuvres on game day, on a cracker or straight up. It's nice to know what ya eating and its satisfying to know ya made it.  Here is the recipe we used, but feel free to adapt it and make it your own.

050.jpg

1 fresh turkey around 20 lbs

3 lbs. yellow onions, quartered

1 large bell  pepper, rough cut

1/2 cup Cajun seasoning, to taste

2 Tablespoons hot sauce, to taste

2 Tablespoons Worstershire sauce

2 Tablespoons liquid Crab boil

1 gallon of water

Follow the steps we gave you above. Enjoy!

Reactions: disco
Well, I copied and pasted it from our blog but for some reason the videos don't work, so copy and paste this in ya search engine:  cappyandpegody.BlogSpot

put a dot com behind it and the post with videos are there.

Make a small batch and use chicken till ya get it like ya kike it then expand if ya wanna.  If ya use pork ya gotta use a fresh ham for the skin.  That is what makes it set up and hold together.  That's why the traditional one was made with hogs head so it would jell from all the skin.  We use the turkey cause we love the flavor and it is very economical when on sale.  Having a slice right now with a cup of coffee.  Good stuff
icon_biggrin.gif

Yea you know it.  It's what south Louisiana runs on.  For old times sake though I still make mellow joy on occasion.

When I was a kid , my dad used to buy sliced "chicken roll" and we ate it all the time growing up. You cant find it anywhere these days and i miss it.
I look at this cheese you make and I think it's very similar. It looks great. I bet it does make a great sandwich . Thanks for sharing. :grilling_smilie:

Some fresh cracklin's, head cheese, wedge of rat cheese,  tabasco, and Saltines..... nothing better to sit and watch a ball game! Well you need some type coll longneck to wash it down with (in mass quanties).

Last edited:
For some reason I aint got a video of makin cracklins could be cause I drink when makin cracklins but that aint it cause I drink any time the guys get together to cook.  Gonna hafta put that on my short list.

That looks good. I have been in Central PA for 23 years. The PA Dutch and most of the locals make a similar item using just Pork, then there is the better known style with Cornmeal we all love Scrapple...JJ 

Bearcarver Scrapple ...... Mmmmmm...... Guuuuuud!

Head cheese with ears and tails and backbone (mostly made with butts these days).

Gotta have the ears to get that thin grizzle in there, and fresh green onions! Damn I am making me hungry!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky