CAJUN SPICED RIBEYE ON THE FLAT TOP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
After seeing redheelerdogs thread on blackened ribeye, I had to try one.

I thawed out a ribeye about 2" thick.

The only seasoning I used was Tone's Cajun.

I also made a lemon, butter, garlic sauce to pour on the steak after it was cooked. 

This is the steak with the Cajun seasoning on it. No mustard or oil, just Cajun. I left it on for about 3 hours in the fridge.

Here's the lemon (didn't have a fresh one), butter, garlic sauce getting started.

Ready to go on the flat top.

As a side were having some pasta.

OK the sauce is heating up.

Move it over to the cool side.

The grill is sitting at about 375, which will be perfect.

On goes the steak.

Flipped it over, and the sauce is ready.

She's done. We like rare to med/rare, so I took it off at 120.

On goes the sauce, then a short rest.

There's our dinner. Steak, pasta, & a lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing.

Another shot!

These are the leftovers. Tomorrow it's steak fajitas.

Here we go. Peppers, onions, garlic, & the leftover ribeye. Also a pan of fajita seasoned sauce.

I cooked the peppers & onions first, then added the garlic & finally the steak just to warm it up.

Warmed up a couple of flour tortillas with a slice of Swiss cheese.

And there you have it, a dollop of sour cream on top & two nice meals from one ribeye.

I really want to thank John (redheelerdog) for inspiring me to do this.

I use Cajun seasoning on just about everything, but for some reason I never thought of using it on steak.

I can honestly say I probably will never eat another steak that isn't blackened.

Judy & I both agreed that the taste was by far the best we have ever had.

The Cajun & the beef just seem to go together so well.

Thanks again John!

And thanks for looking guys!

Al

Wow! That looks amazing, I have to give that a try as well.

Looks-Great.gif

points.gif

Al, I am so glad you liked it.

With all the fancy ways to make a steak who'ed thunk a cast iron skillet, some butter and a Cajun rub could produce such great results!

I got the idea from a restaurant here in Billings called the Rex that serves a most awesome blackened prime rib sandwich that we often eat for lunch (close to work).

I was researching blackening spices and ran across quite a few Cajun spice recipes used for blackening. Then I was strolling through Sam's club one day and saw the Tones Cajun seasoning, I tried it and found it was fabulous! The rest is history.

I am so happy you liked it, and I too will probably doing most of mine like this.The one thing I really like is it is so simple!

Last edited:
Tasty looking use of steak! I've always loved the Cajun spice it makes a killer fried chicken sammich also.

Al, I am so glad you liked it.

With all the fancy ways to make a steak who'ed thunk a cast iron skillet, some butter and a Cajun rub could produce such great results!

I got the idea from a restaurant here in Billings called the Rex that serves a most awesome blackened prime rib sandwich that we often eat for lunch (close to work).

I was researching blackening spices and ran across quite a few Cajun spice recipes used for blackening. Then I was strolling through Sam's club one day and saw the Tones Cajun seasoning.

I tried it was fabulous. I am so happy you liked it, and I too will probably doing most of mine like this.The one thing I really like is it is so simple!

Thanks John!

We have been using that spice for years, but thanks to you we now use it on steak.

Now I'm wondering what else I can use it on!

Like I said it was the best ribeye we have ever eaten & I thank you again for turning us on to it!

Al

Holy crap Al, that all looks amazingly good! I've never done a steak on the griddle, but you've convinced me that it's something to try for sure.

You folks get any big winds?

Tasty looking use of steak! I've always loved the Cajun spice it makes a killer fried chicken sammich also.
Thanks B!

Well I guess I'll have to give the fried chicken sammie a try too!
Holy crap Al, that all looks amazingly good! I've never done a steak on the griddle, but you've convinced me that it's something to try for sure.

You folks get any big winds?
Thanks Charlie!

No we really didn't get much wind or rain. It all just went a little north of us.

A couple of rain squalls & some wind with them, but no damage at all.

We lucked out.

Al

Aw, come on guys. Two great steak posts. How much do you think we can take.

Points despite the cruelty.

Disco

Aw, come on guys. Two great steak posts. How much do you think we can take.

Points despite the cruelty.

Disco
Ha Ha your too much Disco!

Thanks for the point!

Al

SA, great dinner and awesome lunch photos !
Thank you my friend!

Al

wow Al! That looks great!  about how long did it take to finish the steak?  Points for sure!!  Love the fajitas with the leftovers as well!
Thanks Chris!

The steaks only took a few minutes on each side, but we like them pretty rare.

They really get a nice crust on them from the Cajun spice.

Al

Al
I'm late...finally seeing your cook.
Between your Lang and your flat top that is some awesome food you have been putting out. Thumbs Up

Point worthy for sure!

Last edited:
Al
I'm late...finally seeing your cook.
Between your Lang and your flat top that is some awesome food you have been putting out. Thumbs Up

Point worthy for sure!

Thanks a lot Doug!

Appreciate the point too!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky