Cajun Mesquite Turkey Quarters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
Nothing too fancy here but thought I'd share my first smoked turkey experiment, which turned out 'smokin'. Sprinkled with kosher salt and a healthy dose of spicy cajun rub, smoked with mesquite at fluctuating temps between 280-330 (wind was blowin at times pretty good). Took the quarters to 201-208 after around 3.5 hours; skin came out nice and crispy, meat was obv fall off the bone. I think I'm done with the standard oven thanksgiving turkey.

20190624_183357491_iOS.jpg
20190624_185102132_iOS.jpg
20190624_213810312_iOS.jpg
20190624_223541360_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
That does look really good. U will never go back to oven roasted turkey after smoking whole 1. We haven't had oven roasted for years for Thanksgiving. We even put turkey stock, carrots, onion, & celery in drip pan to make smoked gravy to go with it. BANGIN!

Reactions: ofelles
Oven no! Have Spatchcocked whole turkeys a couple of times in my YS640. Also a few breasts. Love Cajun, I will try that rub.

That looks great! I agree with the crowd...haven't used the oven for turkey in a couple of years now.

Did you wet brine the quarters? Also, where did you buy just the quarters? Regular grocery store?

Thanks all! No brine aside from whatever the factory put in there.. honestly don't feel like it needed anything additional. These quarters were cut from a regular old Kroger turkey that I got free last turkey day and was taking up space in my freezer. Just boned out the rest of that bird for stock and other uses.

Thanks all! No brine aside from whatever the factory put in there.. honestly don't feel like it needed anything additional. These quarters were cut from a regular old Kroger turkey that I got free last turkey day and was taking up space in my freezer. Just boned out the rest of that bird for stock and other uses.

Have you tried smoking the turkey breast out of that bird? My family loves them! I do wet brine the breast to keep it moist and inject with a butter/broth mixture, and it turns out great.

I might have to buy a whole bird and cut out the quarters just to do your recipe. Looks great!

Great looking smoke!!! That is a favorite of ours as well, Mmmm Mmmm smoked turkey anything is better than turkey out of an oven lol. Like for sure, Congrats on the carousel ride.

It’s sort of counter-intuitive, isn’t it? The idea is that at higher meat temps, a lot of the connective tissues and fat is rendered down which actually leads to a more tender overall finished product. I’ve gnawed on turkey legs before that were brought to safe temps but not high enough to break down all that connective tissue and would rather pass on that in the future. Taking it to 200 creates that fall off the bone structure, which is just better. It’s the same idea as pulled pork. I’m guessing you’d get a different experience with white meat though, which has significantly less fat and collagen throughout the muscle structure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky