Cajun Catfish, Cheesy Cayenne Grits, & Shrimp Cocktail Salad (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks fantastic Robert!

Thank you Jim!! Appreciate it sir.

The kind words are appreciated. thank you. Was simple but very good.

Love the idea of the cheesy grits with the catfish! Nice work Robert! This will be on my dinner table real soon!

The thought had not crossed my mind either Travis till I started thinking through this. Seemed like a viable approach so I went with it.

Robert

Whoa, what a cook, I never in my life thought I'd be seeing you post a fish dinner!

Me neither my friend!! Rarely do I get to eat seafood so when I do it's pretty rudimentary. This one came out pretty nice though.

YEAP! Awesome job!

Thanks so much!!

Sounds and looks amazing! Sometimes it good to be able to indulge in things when the wife is away!

Ryan

As much as I enjoy time with Tracy, I do kinda wish she'd go out a little more regularly so I can do stuff like this :emoji_wink:

Robert

I love sea food and that dinner you whipped up looks fantastic. That would satisfy any craving. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your cooks.

Thanks so much Colin. the kind words are appreciated and I've enjoyed having some time to catch up here.

We don't do seafood much but we both can tear up a plate of shrimp cocktail!

I'm with ya!! Could eat shrimp cocktail every day and not get tired of it.

Looks outstanding Robert! Love the catfish and grits together

Thank you John. It was an off-the-wall idea but it came out realy well.

Robert

Nicely done!

Thank you!! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while :emoji_wink:

Man does that look great Robert. I'll be having grits for the first time in about two weeks when we visit my daughter. Again, Fantastic meal!!!

Growing up in the south grits were a staple. They were known as Georgia Ice Cream. Have not had them for a while so this was a real treat.

Looks great Robert. Wish you would have called. Sure hate to see a guy eat all that alone. Lol

I'd have welcomed you but it seems as though I lost your phone number :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Looks Awesome, Robert!!
Love the Shrimp, and Catfish has always been my Favorite Eating Fish!!!

Thanks Bear!! I've eaten catfish for as long as I can remember. Growing up it was always fried though. I like grilled much better but wouldn't turn down a plate of fried.

I'm the same as you--I get to cook seafood whenever Miss Linda is out of town.

Maybe we need to get out wives together and send them off someplace for a couple weeks :emoji_wink:

Have never actually had catfish but that looks darn good.

It's been a fan favorite since I was a little kid. There are only a couple of fish that I really like and this is one of them.

Robert

That catfish and shrimp look killer good. I’d especially love that catfish.

Appreciate it Jeff. I just wish I could master the plating and presentation like you have. I'm happy with good food though :emoji_wink:

Awesome Job Robert! You know I'm a seafood junkie and That looks like a great simple take on a classic dish. I'd eat a plate for sure!

You're absolutely correct Keith!! As little as I get to cook seafood I don't have a lot of practice so keep it simple. This was actually an ambitious meal for my skills where seafood is concerned.

Looking great Robert! Love how the catfish came out.

Thank you Steve. It came out really well. Soft, tender, and very flavorful.

Robert

Great decision. That Catfish and Grits look delicious. Bev and I love Shrimp Cocktail! 2 Pounds of 16/20's, two bowls of Cocktail Sauce, I add a Dash each of Worcestershire and Granulated Garlic to the Ketchup and Ex-Hot Horseradish, a couple sleeves of Townhouse Crackers and we got a tasty supper....JJ

Reactions: forktender
Damn, that looks killer.

We eat a ton of seafood in this house, my go to cocktail sauce recipe is.

Chili sauce or ketchup if I don't have the chili sauce on hand.
Horseradish.
Lemon zest and juice from 1 lemon.
White pepper.
Dash of Worcester sauce.
1/2 grated sweet onion.
Dash of TX Pete or LA pepper sauce like Tabasco.
6-8 smashed capers for an approximate 2 cup batch of cocktail sauce.

Try it sometime, it's killer.

Great decision. That Catfish and Grits look delicious. Bev and I love Shrimp Cocktail! 2 Pounds of 16/20's, two bowls of Cocktail Sauce, I add a Dash each of Worcestershire and Granulated Garlic to the Ketchup and Ex-Hot Horseradish, a couple sleeves of Townhouse Crackers and we got a tasty supper....JJ
Townhouse crackers are a must, but oyster crackers will so in a pinch.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I really like the sound of pairing the catfish with the grits! It sounds like a great spin on one of my favorite dishes.

I kinda feel like breaking out the fishing pole and doing some nighttime fishing for cattys after looking at this. Maybe crush a few Gennys in the process.

Man i'd be licking the plate and sucking the juice out of the bowl. I like the catfish and grits combo.....Now you got me thinking about a Kroger run.

Jim

Hell yeah Robert. I'm late to the party but you already know you're speaking my food love language with that meal! I ordered shrimp and grits the night you took me and Emily out for cajun food and yours look just as good if not better. Give Gouda a try in your next batch of grits. You won't be disappointed. Nice work all around bud

Robert that’s called the mouse at play! Very nice!

Hee hee hee...I guess you're right and thank you for the kind words.

Great decision. That Catfish and Grits look delicious.

Thank you Jimmy. The catfish on the grits was a bit off-the-wall but it came out very well.

Damn, that looks killer.

Thank you sir!! Very much appreciate it. Copied and printed the recipe. I'll give it a shot next time I get to cook some seafood.

Robert

I really like the sound of pairing the catfish with the grits! It sounds like a great spin on one of my favorite dishes.

Thank you Joe. The catfish and grits exceeded what I thought it was going to be. Turned out excellent.

Great meal there guy I love those home alone meals to.

Very much appreciate it Warren. As much as I enjoy time with Tracy it is nice to get an evening once in a while to indulge in the forbidden fruit.

Hell Yeah!
Damn Robert that looks good enough to be a chef's signature dish.
Yum, nothing there I'd turn my nose up to.
Scratched that itch with style.

Thanks Chile!! I'd certainly say it was a signature dish for me butnot so sure about a real chef...but the accolades are appreciated. It looked pretty nice and tasted even better. I was happy for sure.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky