Cajun Catfish, Cheesy Cayenne Grits, & Shrimp Cocktail Salad (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man i'd be licking the plate and sucking the juice out of the bowl. I like the catfish and grits combo.....Now you got me thinking about a Kroger run.

Too funny Jim!! The catfish and grits did come out better than I'd hoped so it's a keeper. Hopefully you'll get a chance to try it.

Hell yeah Robert. I'm late to the party but you already know you're speaking my food love language with that meal! I ordered shrimp and grits the night you took me and Emily out for cajun food and yours look just as good if not better. Give Gouda a try in your next batch of grits. You won't be disappointed. Nice work all around bud

Hadn't thought about the similarities between this and your dinner when we went to the Cajun place but you're right. this was an over the top dinner with tons of flavors. I do have some smoked Gouda in the fridge so might well give that a shot next time I do grits. Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
The menu around here can be difficult at times. Tracy is allergic to chicken, can't stand anything that swims, can take some pork or turkey once in a while, and is not a big fan of lamb. That pretty much leaves beef most of the time. When she goes out with friends I tend to indulge in stuff that I cannot cook when she's here for dinner. She went out not long ago and I decided on seafood. Never had shrimp and grits (had both but never together) so that was my first thought. Got the shrimp out but really wanted shrimp cocktail, which is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Loved the idea of incorporating the cheesy cayenne grits though so got a catfish filet out also so here's what I finally decided on.

Steam the shrimp a couple hours in advance so it can cool in the fridge before dinner. Peeled, veins removed, and into the steamer.
View attachment 503051

8 large shrimp done and ready to chill
View attachment 503052

Cook the grits, add the cayenne and cheddar
View attachment 503053

Cajun seasoning on the catfish
View attachment 503054

Into a screaming hot CI skillet on the grill with a little butter
View attachment 503055

From here I cut up a basic salad and made some cocktail sauce. That was simple. Just ketchup and extra spicy horseradish mixed up. Was as good or better than any cocktail sauce I've ever had. Put the shrimp cocktail salad together and plated dinner.
View attachment 503056

I am a seafood junkie and had been missing out. This was absolutely fantastic!! I think that was a two-part rationale though. One was that the dinner was pretty darned good. The other was that I was craving something like this and it hit the spot big time!! Tracy is headed out tomorrow evening to pick up her monthly wine selections from one of the memberships she has so guess what I'm cooking for dinner again :emoji_wink: Got the shrimp and catfish vac sealed in the freezer and it's ready to go. P.S. we are looking at rain all week so I'm doing a bit of catching up here. Thanks for taking a look and we'll see y'all on the next one.

Robert
Looks really tasty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky