Cabinet smoker Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Does a heat deflector plate go between the charcoal basket and water pan, or between water pan and chamber?

What charcoal smoker are you using? Can you post an image or give us more information?

What charcoal smoker are you using? Can you post an image or give us more information?
Yeah sorry, I have a cook going (which will be posted tomorrow 😊) so don’t want to pull stuff out. It’s a LSG pee wee. What a great cooker, I do notice condensation on the inside when using water pan, I’m wondering if the deflector plate is supposed to be between the water and the food opposed to between the charcoal bracket and water pan which is where I have it. Water pan is out in the picture below but I have it sit in above the deflector plate directly below the lowest rack.
6873CDBE-C9A9-4D50-9E0F-69671B47BDDF.jpeg

Yes, heat deflector, then water pan over it.
Thank you, I’m surprised how much condensation is building up in there with the water pan, think I’m gonna stop using it

I agree. I don't use water in the pan .Although when I used my lsg cabinet, I did leave it in to catch drippings ( for easier cleanup). 👍

This has been debated for years, but if you don't need more moisture in the chamber during your smoke, many of us (myself included) fill the water pan with playground sand. This will warm up, and help to stabilize the temperature swings like water does, but without the water vapor.

This has been debated for years, but if you don't need more moisture in the chamber during your smoke, many of us (myself included) fill the water pan with playground sand. This will warm up, and help to stabilize the temperature swings like water does, but without the water vapor.
Interesting thanks for the tip.

If you live in high humidity climate don’t use a water pan use sand as a heat sink, if you live in low humidity like the desert west then water is fine even good.

Cabinet smokers tend to get quite humid with no water pan. Just use the heat deflector.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky