Buying new smoker- Need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

anglin220

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Rogers, AR
I have had 2 offset smokers and 1 green egg, I hated the egg and had really cheap offsets.

I am looking to buy another offset for under $500 I have looked at the Old Country Pecos, does anyone else have any suggestions for another smoker for under $500?

If your not totally set on an offset, then I would look into the WSM.

Chris

Reactions: anglin220
I recently graduated to my first ever store bought Smoker. I always Rolled My Own, last being a Brinkman Smoke N Grill I stuck a Bradley smoke generator on the side of and smoked stuff for years and years.
And Dave's post enlightened me to what a UDS is.
I got tired of a lot of things about my UDS, so I'm glad I moved on to a MES 30. Not glad of what it took to find happiness with it, but glad to have it.
I'm much happier to be square.

There seems to be a plethora of Off-Set stick burners around everywhere I go. Here's what I found, and most are well under your mark. I would suggest you look at the weight.
The heavier that are, the more likely the better made they are. ;)

If it was me looking for a stick burner, I'd look at the Oklahoma Joe's. And maybe the reverse flow jobber.
But it ain't me, and you need to please yourself... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: anglin220
I appreciate all the input, I have looked at the OK Joes and they are pretty nice for the price point, the UDS would be all new to me I went and watched a lot of videos on them I am looking to see if anyone I know has one so I can see it in person.

I also looked at the DYNA-GLO double barrel off-set smoker, its really small but is built with a thicker grade steel and coated to prevent rust. I'm in no hurry thats how I got into my egg,,,boooo!

If you are looking at the Pecos I strongly recommend you take a good look at their over under smoker. I think it's one of the best values out there and the design makes up for some of the shortcomings of what lower priced offset units have(uneven heat, heat loss).

If I was told to run out and pick up an offset wood smoker and it couldn't be over $500 the over under would be where I'd go.

I ended up with the OK joe highland offset smoker for a couple of reasons, pricepoint being one of them. I modified it with high heat sealant and added gaskets, as well as hinges to seal it it fully. I know the steel isn’t as thick as $1000 smokers but I feel I can make it work since I have learned to smoke on offsets. I’ll post some pics in the future thanks for everyone’s advice!

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky