Buying new smoker- Need advice

Discussion in 'AMNPS Tester forum' started by anglin220, Mar 4, 2018.

1. I have had 2 offset smokers and 1 green egg, I hated the egg and had really cheap offsets.

I am looking to buy another offset for under $500 I have looked at the Old Country Pecos, does anyone else have any suggestions for another smoker for under $500?
  2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Have you looked at Ugly Drum Smokers... UDS ...
  3. I have not, I am familiar with them and will look closer into it!
  4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

If your not totally set on an offset, then I would look into the WSM.

anglin220 likes this.
  6. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I recently graduated to my first ever store bought Smoker. I always Rolled My Own, last being a Brinkman Smoke N Grill I stuck a Bradley smoke generator on the side of and smoked stuff for years and years.
    And Dave's post enlightened me to what a UDS is.
    I got tired of a lot of things about my UDS, so I'm glad I moved on to a MES 30. Not glad of what it took to find happiness with it, but glad to have it.
    I'm much happier to be square.

There seems to be a plethora of Off-Set stick burners around everywhere I go. Here's what I found, and most are well under your mark. I would suggest you look at the weight.
    The heavier that are, the more likely the better made they are. ;)

If it was me looking for a stick burner, I'd look at the Oklahoma Joe's. And maybe the reverse flow jobber.
    But it ain't me, and you need to please yourself... ;)
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    anglin220 likes this.
  7. I appreciate all the input, I have looked at the OK Joes and they are pretty nice for the price point, the UDS would be all new to me I went and watched a lot of videos on them I am looking to see if anyone I know has one so I can see it in person.

I also looked at the DYNA-GLO double barrel off-set smoker, its really small but is built with a thicker grade steel and coated to prevent rust. I'm in no hurry thats how I got into my egg,,,boooo!
  8. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Take your time. Choose well. Be Happy!
  9. If you are looking at the Pecos I strongly recommend you take a good look at their over under smoker. I think it's one of the best values out there and the design makes up for some of the shortcomings of what lower priced offset units have(uneven heat, heat loss).

If I was told to run out and pick up an offset wood smoker and it couldn't be over $500 the over under would be where I'd go.
    anglin220 and SonnyE like this.