butterflied bucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 13, 2009
az
needed to make some more bucky and i remembered that someone wanted me to post how i butterfly my bucky so here ya go.........

gotta have sharp tools.........i prefer the one on the right.

12cf7dbe_IMGP1115.jpg

butt rinced and ready to work with................

421584f3_IMGP1116.jpg

i run the blade against the long side of the bone and work it up and over to the bump........notice the angle and that i never use more than "1 1/2  - "2 of the knife.

ffbb8534_IMGP1118.jpg

then i work the knife on the other side of the bump and around to the bottom.

5bea8bf2_IMGP1119.jpg

then i free one side and work the knife against the bone lifting the bone and cutting it away from the butt...........

927c77de_IMGP1120.jpg

then i use the slit from where the bone was to determine where to slice and open the butt like a book......be sure not to slice all the way through.

3df03566_IMGP1122.jpg

from here use what cure you like.........this is High Mountain with garlic and onion granules

bb251c38_IMGP1124.jpg

sealed and dated................

477a15b5_IMGP1123.jpg

2 more........one is never enough!

c638e5bc_IMGP1125.jpg

see ya in 7-10 days................

Reactions: eddadog
Looking forward to the finished product, Rob.  Looks good so far.  I need to try the Hi Mountain mix and adding onion and garlic does sound good.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Do you leave the fat cap on the one side of the bacon, or do you trim it off?  If you leave it, is there a noticeable difference between the two sides of bacon?  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Great tutorial my friend. Thanks for taking the time to get the pics and post it. Just send me some bacon and we are both happy   

Do you leave the fat cap on the one side of the bacon, or do you trim it off?  If you leave it, is there a noticeable difference between the two sides of bacon?  Can't wait to see the finished product.
i leave the cap on especialy since cold smoke and don't reach a fully cooked temp. this way when i fry it up i get rendered fat for for flavor and crispyness.................here is some i did a while back.

e61db01a_IMGP1013.jpg

and as far as the onion and garlic i use it like i was seasoning a roast..........then i apply the cure. i'm sure you could premeasure your cure and mix it but that is just another step and i'm kinda lazy.......

Great tutorial Rob.. Do you chill the butt in the freezer for a little or take it straight from the fridge? Mine don't seem to stay together like that when I slice in half..

icon_cool.gif

Now that ones gonna make a shot straight to wiki I hope. Great job there Chef Rob.I really like some good buck board bacon to and yours look fabulous too. I know it is really tastey too.

Great tutorial Rob.. Do you chill the butt in the freezer for a little or take it straight from the fridge? Mine don't seem to stay together like that when I slice in half..
while prepping..........no. after it is smoked i cool it quicky and then wrap it overnight. not sure what you are asking me pete.

icon_cool.gif

Now that ones gonna make a shot straight to wiki I hope. Great job there Chef Rob.I really like some good buck board bacon to and yours look fabulous too. I know it is really tastey too.
thx mark.........when this is smoked and sliced i will try to figure out how to do the wiki.

That looks awesome! I'm going to have to make some.

How big of a butt do you use?

Do you butterfly it from the bone in end down?

I noticed in one of your pics that it was peppered. Do you put it in with the cure or apply before smoking?

I presume you cold smoke this. For how long?

Thanks!!

That looks awesome! I'm going to have to make some.

How big of a butt do you use?

Do you butterfly it from the bone in end down?

I noticed in one of your pics that it was peppered. Do you put it in with the cure or apply before smoking?

I presume you cold smoke this. For how long?

Thanks!!
i use a 5# to 6# butt..............

yes, since the cut is already made from taking it out i just run the knive down trying to even out the sides............

sometimes yes.........my g/f's granny cant have pepper or smokeed items so i have not been using the pepper until the smoke. u just cut her off a hunk of what is pretty much salted cured pork and she can have that for her "bacon".

as for time i try to get at least 5 hrs of smoke...........6 has produced some great results.

I've been planning on cutting my next one exactly like that.

Well maybe not quite that nice, but I'm not Ninja certified either.

The only thing I'll do different is I'll use my own TQ & seasoning.

As usual, this is gonna be a good one to watch!

BTW: Rob, you forgot to mention in your pictorial, "Never do my fingers leave my hand".

Thanks Rob,

Bear

Last edited:
i leave the cap on especialy since cold smoke and don't reach a fully cooked temp. this way when i fry it up i get rendered fat for for flavor and crispyness.................here is some i did a while back.

e61db01a_IMGP1013.jpg
This is the stuff you sliced by hand???

They oughta lock you up !

c0787d20_confucius.jpg

confucius say "you cannot lock up what you cannot catch"

I had 3 butts in the fridge and tried to butterfly them today.

I failed. Luckily my job was to chunk them up to make sausage anyway.

Got a few real large chunks, just couldn't get the bone out.

I have a nice boning knife. I will keep reading and trying.

The good news...I have 3 lbs breakfast sausage made and will start the Chaurice tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky