butter milk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Moosomin, SK
I don't have any fermento but i have butter milk. I want to now when adding it to my mix to get the tang, do i add the butter milk instead of the water or do i cut my water amount back and add the buttermilk. I can get a product called salami conditioner which i was told is Canada's version of fermento. I cant get it till Thursday, and I have all my meat ready to go. This is why I want to know about the buttermilk. The sausage I plan on making is a thungrer and a cerlvet. I do have granulated ca and was told that if I use the wrong amount it will cause the sausage to dry out and go crumbly, so i don't want to screw up some good meat.

I don't have any fermento but i have butter milk. I want to now when adding it to my mix to get the tang, do i add the butter milk instead of the water or do i cut my water amount back and add the buttermilk. I can get a product called salami conditioner which i was told is Canada's version of fermento. I cant get it till Thursday, and I have all my meat ready to go. This is why I want to know about the buttermilk. The sausage I plan on making is a thungrer and a cerlvet. I do have granulated ca and was told that if I use the wrong amount it will cause the sausage to dry out and go crumbly, so i don't want to screw up some good meat.

GR

Yes use the BM in place of the water. Dont worry if the mix gets a white tint, you will be fine.

yes i do. Up here in canada we cant get cure #2. The only way to get it is if we buy a kit and take cure #2 out of it, and use it that way.

Morning, I found a product I am going to try in a few days. "Cultured Buttermilk". I found it at the grocery store in the baking section I think. The better half uses it mixed with water for a meat coating before cooking.

We have a local grocery that has it's own butcher shop. The butcher makes sausage etc. He makes a buttermilk pork breakfast sausage (not stuffed) that is soooo good. When fried, it is a stand alone entree. My mouth is watering.

Now to the point of this rant. The Cultured B'milk is finely ground exactly like "soy protein concentrate". I am planning on doing a substitution of the two products and do a taste test.

I would ask him his recipe, but........

So, I haven't tried it yet. Don't know if it is 1:1 substitution. Don't know what it will taste like. Basically I DON'T KNOW S**T! 

I figure it is worth a try for me. That sausage is sooo good.

You have my thoughts. Good smokin' Dave

Thanks Nepas . Have you done any fermented sausage like salami. If so how.

gr

yes i have done fermented sausage many times.I use Bactoferm LHP and Bactoferm F-RM-52.

When doing these type of fermenting you need to have the right R/H Relative Humidity and this consists of some other equipment. Cool mist humidifier, fermenting chamber, controls, cure #2 which is way different than cure #1

My fridge is being used right now for another project but when done i will post pics of some dry cured fermented sausage.

I'm not sure where you are, but I can walk into a local store & pick up a 2lb bag of Prague Powder #2 right off the shelf.

Also, as for Fermento, it isn't a fermenting agent, but just a flavour additive that imitates the taste of fermented sausage without any actual fermentation.

yes i do. Up here in canada we cant get cure #2. The only way to get it is if we buy a kit and take cure #2 out of it, and use it that way.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky