Butt going on shortly, Glaze question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damascusmaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2015
North East Tennessee
I have this nice looking butt lightly covered with jerk rub a friend gave me. I also want to use this pineapple habanero glaze at some point. Question is should I put some on at the start of the smoke or wait until near the end? Will go on the new Akorn Jr in about an hour. Guessing this stuff has a lot of sugar, so I plan to stay low 225 to 250?

Thanks

Hmm.. it will possibly turn black in a couple hours. If you wrap the pork to finish it maybe put it on in foil.. I think it's meant to be used at the last , after it's pulled.

Last edited:
Heat some glaze and add as a Finishing Sauce. It will have a bigger contribution to flavor...JJ

Reactions: damascusmaker
I would have tried as a light glaze instead of mustard pre rub. With my MES my butt took about 6-7 hours to get through the stall when I started at 225F. I read many speed that up and go right for 250F preset temp which I will do next time.

That's an idea for next time RD. On the temp, Since I was sleeping through this cook, I wanted to reduce the chance of the meat being done before I was finished sleeping. 

Check the graph, in the stall right now.

I'm in

Richie

cheers.gif

Rest of the story. Very Good! The sauce was fine, didn't add as much as I expected. After nearly 4 hours in the cooler it was still  pretty warm to handle for the pulling. Lots of bark. Overall the Jr. made a butt as good as any I've had. I bet I could hold the fuel used on this cook in my hands.

Reactions: tropics
Thanks for the point Richie.

I'm really liking the new Jr. Looks like up to 14 inches this thing can do it all, and do it well with a tiny amount of fuel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky