Butt and Burnt Ends Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
9lb butt put on at 8:00am. Wrapped up at 140* with apple juice, butter, and honey. Off to rest at 3:00pm with a 203-205 temp. 3.5lbs of belly cut up and rubbed down, ran next to the butt for 2.5hrs then sauced and back on. They're just about finished. Used Pitboss Sweet Heat Rub on the butt and Twisted Q Sweet Heat on the ends. First attempt at the PBBE and they're money. Grill is a Traeger Pro 22 using GMG sweet blend pellets. Going to pair with Hawaiian buns, coleslaw, mac n cheese, and fried pickles. I would do the mac on the grill but its not big enough! This is my first time giving a butt a good rest after a cook. All drippings are saved in a pan and redistributed in the pull. Another hour and we will be digging in.
20200105_084327.jpg
20200105_125956.jpg
20200105_152844.jpg
20200105_153054.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Pretty happy with my first attempt at the ends, but think they got a little too crispy (read slightly burnt on one side...) so I will have to watch that in the future. Slathered under the sauce it was hard to tell. Got the inspiration and mix of recipes for them from this very forum, just tweaked things here and there to suit my own tastes! Wealth of information here, glad to be a part.

Very nice din din!

Ps how did you get everyone to just sit there while you took the table pick.....they had great restraint.

Reactions: Teal101
Mixed up some of Chilirellenos Cilantro Lime Coleslaw and turned the pulled into some pulled tacos!
20200107_184736.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Thanks guys, not sure I'll ever get tired of eating this stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky