Butchers Twine on a Sirloin Tip Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bignick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Southaven, MS
I am planning to smoke a butt Sunday.  I saw this sirloin tip roast (which I've never done) and thought I'd give my butt some company.  (insert dirty joke here).

My question:  does this butcher's twine serve a purpose, or do they just try to pretty it up?  Should I cut it off?

b9757b40_IMG00012-20110211-2049.jpg

it compacts the muscle into a uniform shape so it will cook more evenly.....leave it on during the cook.

That makes sense now.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I'm a first timer with this cut.  Can't wait to try it out.  Now I've realized I need a slicer.

Rare to Med and sliced thin oh my what great sandwich meat I hope ya have a great smoke

Looking forward to seeing the finished smoke. It should taste awesome

I plan on pulling the beef around 135* IT.  Here it is soaking up a beef rub that I found on this forum.  I brushed a very light coat of spicy deli mustard for the rub to stick to.  I am out of the plain yellow, so what the heck.

062897ae_CopyofIMG00020-20110213-0012.jpg

Here is the butt getting all happy.  I am also out of plastic wrap, so I had to dig out some big bowls with tops.

29e2221b_IMG00021-20110213-0013.jpg

I've got a new take on ABTs that I'll post another thread on...I'll put the beef Qview here later...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky