Butchering gloves

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I copied and pasted this off my blog. I got fairly good feed back on this post and thought I would share it here. These are my butchering gloves. I bought these to keep my daughter from cutting herself and found they work as insulation and cut protection under nitrile gloves. No more cold wet hands butchering or mixing meat or other things that are cold by hand. Seemed simple to me, but people seem to be doing it differently and liked this idea.

Butchering Gloves
Sometimes it is the simple things that you do and don’t even think about that people find very interesting. I had the same thing happen when I was talking to my buddy and he was butchering and complaining about his hands getting so cold wearing the latex gloves while butchering. I told him how we use the cut resistant gloves under the latex gloves. It keeps your hands clean and provides and air space between your hands and the cold meats. He immediately wanted information on what I was using.
butcher-glove_1-medium-e1575751473968.jpg
So these cut resistant gloves are made out of some synthetic materials and they are very stretchy. I can wear a medium glove if it is stretchy or a large leather type glove. So I ordered these in Medium and I would say it is important to get these tight. They stretch when you put them on as the woven fabric expands. I originally ordered these as my daughter is not the most careful with knives and I figured these are 10 times or more cheaper than stitches.
butcher-glove_2-medium-e1575751632463.jpg
As they say, mediums fits like a glove on me. I have to work them on and slide them down my fingers, but once on they don’t get in the way as loose gloves can.
butcher-glove_3-medium.jpg
Then the nitrile gloves are slide over the cut resistant gloves to make them waterproof and save you from cutting yourself. My daughter tried this several different ways. She used just cut gloves and they got messy and wet and your hands got cold. Nitrile glove with cut glove over it makes sense, but the cut glove gets caked in blood especially when trimming the bullet wound areas. Plus the blood soaked into the cut glove made your hands cold still. Only putting the nitrile glove over the cut glove left your hands clean and warm.
butcher-glove_4-medium-e1575752297910.jpg
Ready to work and you can see the cut glove totally enclosed in he nitrile glove.

Yes, if you rub the knife on your hand the nitrile glove cuts and blood gets into the cut glove, but this is small and not normally a problem. Worse case you get another nitrile glove and have to wash the cut gloves really good. We normally just light soap wash and rinse them. BTW, the cut gloves were a pain in the ass to wash when not using the nitrile gloves over them.

I also use this same setup when hand mixing meats or doing anything where I have to handle a lot of cold meat or ice water. That cold just bites right through and your knuckles just hurt like hell. This avoids all that pain and keeps your hands clean. This is really simple and safe too.

Also, if you ever found the interest in my Braunschweiger, or Liverwurst, and want to bring the heart and liver back after gutting your deer. I have come up with the system now of have two of the Nitrile gloves inside of two twist type bags in my hunting day pack. I put two gloves and one bag in another bag and fold them all up pushing the air out. Then two twist ties around it in the pack. When gutting the glove go on on and heart and liver in one bag and tied, then in the second bag and tied again before going in the back pack. One bag is not enough! I had blood all over my backpack and running down my butt and on my truck seat and so on. I call them the “cheap bags” use them several times. I also use these for putting each individual deer or waterfowl muscle when curing them.
Be safe, clean and enjoy!

It is amazing to me how many people do not use something like this. These are $8 a pair and uni-handed. So if you only use it on your left, it is like having two pairs to wear out for $8.

Way cheaper than stitches. :emoji_wink:

It is amazing to me how many people do not use something like this. These are $8 a pair and uni-handed. So if you only use it on your left, it is like having two pairs to wear out for $8.

Way cheaper than stitches. :emoji_wink:
I have to admit I’ve had stitches twice in fingers for knife cuts before I bought mine :)

Reactions: archeryrob
I use these and love them. I hadn't tried a nitrile glove over them. I'll try that next time.
My problem is when doing a beef, it's impossible to get them clean. I use them once or twice and pitch them. Would be nice to be able to re use.

I picked these up at WM in the fishing department, great for cleaning fish and to use for other "close knife" projects. I just hang them in the dishwasher a couple cycles. Thanks for the tip of using a latex glove over them.

You need the Nitrile gloves over them, or they just become a caked, soping cold mess of blood and meat. I used to just clean them with hot water and dish soap in the sink and air dry. I've used the dishwasher too, it all works.

The main point of this was the combination. Cut gloves prevent being cut and a layer of insulation and the nitrile moisture and cold protection. Maybe there is a better way, but this is the best one I found so far. I have used this to hand mix meat for small jobs I didn't want to clean the big mixer for. Should save the cold knuckle in ice water I remember from cleaning blue fish also. ... I need to go fishing in the bay again and smoke some fish! mmm, I'm hungry!

Reactions: 801driver
Great idea! When I hunted and field dressed in Az, I used nitrile gloves just for cleanup sake. I did't have cut gloves because I didn't really have a use for them. My nitriles were a neon green which was really nice when working down with the knife and all of the sudden there's a green finger there. Now that I'm on the coast, I have a pair of cut gloves for shuckin' oysters so if I get back to game hunting somehow, I'll definitely be doubling up.

I'm a big fan of doing exactly what archeryrob archeryrob described. When I was making competition BBQ chicken on a more regular basis, it required removing the skin from the thighs and slicing the fat layer off of the underside of each one, leaving just the paper-thin outer skin to wrap back around each trimmed thigh--that's the secret to getting the bite-through skin the judges want to see. So I first got the most scary-sharp filet knife I'd ever encountered, but found I couldn't get through a batch of thighs without multiple lacerations (the non-cutting hand has to hold the skin flat and tight on the cutting board, so fingers are always in close proximity to the blade). Then my wife found the cut resistant gloves that I can wear under the nitrile gloves, and it's been a real game changer! No more competitions at which I'm wearing a couple of band-aids on my left hand!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky