Butcher paper question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yodelhawk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Great Falls, Mt
Sorry... didn't know where to post this so please move if necessary.
I'm wanting to try wrapping my next big ole hunk o meat in paper instead of plastic... er foil. What is the difference between pink, brown and white butcher paper? I have a big roll of white left over from many years ago when I used to hunt. but have never used it for smoking. Thanks for any help you can give

I use the pink. I believe the brown is unbleached and the white is standard butcher paper. Be careful and make sure that you use butcher paper that is not coated. Many times the white is coated on one side, the coating will melt off and into your food during a cook.

I hope this helps!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Reactions: yodelhawk
Pink butcher paper is unbleached, and pourus enough to let some moisture out. That gives you a different bark, but still retains the bark. Whie butcher paper has a plastic coating on one side, and is best to wrap in for freezer use, rather than exposing to heat. I dont know anything about brown butcher paper. The brown paper I am accustomed to using is for shipping packages.

There are some specifics that you want, you want an un-coated butcher paper, no wax or plastic, that is FDA approved and of the proper weight/porosity.
Butcher paper, not steak, freezer or Kraft paper.
It doesn't matter if it's peach, pink, brown or white, but most will be peach, pink or brown.
It generally comes in 18" and 24", buy the 24".

The last roll I bought was from Amazon, 24" x 175', FDA approved, for $25.97. The shipping was free. If you order some, get the 24". If it's too wide, fold it in. If it's too narrow, there is not much you can do except fold in a seam.
I don't use it much, but was happy with the results. It also works to cover the trays you transport the meat on.
Some BBQ joints use it to serve on.

If it's too wide, fold it in. If it's too narrow, there is not much you can do except fold in a seam.
If it is too narrow, don't bother trying to fold edges together making a seam.
Take two pieces and overlap them in a V shape, overlapped more at the bottom where you'll start your wrap.
And have enough length to get a double wrap around your meat.

What I do is go to my butcher store, and buy a few steaks and things, and they are always happy to throw in a few feet of butcher paper (I dont get the big pieces of meat there). It's really an excuse to go splurge on some good steaks.

Thanks for all the responses! Found some pink paper on Amazon. Looked at he the white that I had and itwas is definitely coated. Will not use for smoking.

Unless you are cooking high quality briskets like Mr. Franklin you might be best served to use foil.

Unless you are cooking high quality briskets like Mr. Franklin you might be best served to use foil.
Oh c'mon now, that's some bullsh!t.
Paper is superior to foil for anything but straight up braising.
Just my $0.02.

Pun on your Nick not intended.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky