Burnt Ends Teaser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I'm looking at doing 6lbs of chuck roast burnt ends for a party tomorrow.  Scheduled to start at 7pm, so I'm trying to figure out timing.  If I smoke overnight, they'll be done way too early.  But if I start in the morning, I might be pressed for time.  Has anyone smoked overnight, cubed, and then refrigerated until closer to their need time, then sauced/rubbed and put back in the smoker for 2-3 hours?  Would it work?  I feel like it would, unless the cooling of the meat does something to it.

As I understand it (and I probably don't), the collagen breaks down during the cook, and then gelatinizes in the fridge. It will not melt when you reheat it, making for juicier bites that hold together well.

I would simply get up at 0430, have them in the smoker at 0500 and they'd probably be ready for cubing by 1000-1200, hold whole in Cambro or oven till 1500, then cube and finish cooking.
Ready by 1800 and hold again till serving.
They never need to see a fridge.

Reactions: chinanick
I would simply get up at 0430, have them in the smoker at 0500 and they'd probably be ready for cubing by 1000-1200, hold whole in Cambro or oven till 1500, then cube and finish cooking.
This is what I'm shooting for based on your advice.  Chuckies went in at 5am almost on the nose.  Had problems once again with the AMNPS though and it was billowing at 8am'ish so I had to pull it.   Put some hickory chips in the loader.  IT is at about 158 right now on one, the other is slightly higher (5.5 hours in).  Peering thru the exhaust it doesn't look like I'm developing a crust though....

This is what I'm shooting for based on your advice.  Chuckies went in at 5am almost on the nose.  Had problems once again with the AMNPS though and it was billowing at 8am'ish so I had to pull it.   Put some hickory chips in the loader.  IT is at about 158 right now on one, the other is slightly higher (5.5 hours in).  Peering thru the exhaust it doesn't look like I'm developing a crust though....
Mine went in just before yours.
They're now outta the smoker and resting till 1400hrs +, then I'll cube/sauce and finish them.

Can't wait to see this batch. So what did these chuckies get marinated in? Got a chuckie and a butt on here today too. Got company coming over tonight for pulled pork and pulled beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky