Burnt End Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am sorry. No turkey or other Thanksgiving dish today. I am Canadian and our Thanksgiving was in October. That being said, I hope all my American friends had the best Thanksgiving ever.

However, I did try something new and had a fine meal.

I had some nice meaty beef ribs. I was thinking about a 3-2-1 smoke but wanted something a little different. My brain suffered another one of its short circuit spasms and I had an urge for burnt ends. Why not finish the ribs like burnt ends? I couldn't think of a good reason so here it is.

I gave the ribs a nice sprinkle of SPOG (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder). I put the ribs in my WSM mini for 3 hours at about 240 F over oak smoke.

I put the ribs in a pan and added 1/2 cup beef stock. I covered them with foil and put them back in the smoker for 2 hours.
Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 01.jpg

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 02.jpg

I brought the ribs in and poured the liquid in the pan off. I defatted the liquid by pulling the juice out from under the fat with a baster.

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 03.jpg

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 04.jpg

I had enough juice to make 125 ml (1/2 cup). If I didn't, I would have topped it up with beef stock. I put that in the pan and added 50 ml (1/4 cup) barbecue sauce. I used Koss Sauce. It is a barbecue sauce I order from a family business in Virginia and I really like it.

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 05.jpg

I put the ribs in and brushed them well with the sauce mixture.

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 06.jpg

I put them in the smoker, uncovered. for about 1 1/2 hours, turning and brushing a couple of times, until the ribs were darkly glazed.

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 07.jpg

I cooked them for about 1 1/2 hours, turning and brushing a couple of times, until the ribs were darkly glazed.
Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 08.jpg

Burnt End Beef Ribs SMF 09.jpg

The Verdict

These were great and will be made again, often! They had the sweet savoury taste of burnt ends with the great fatty unctuous beef rib. Perfect!

Disco

Oh Yeah!!
Looks Awesome, Disco!!
Beef Ribs are my favorite Ribs, by Far!!
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: disco
Oh Yeah!!
Looks Awesome, Disco!!
Beef Ribs are my favorite Ribs, by Far!!
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear
You are too kind to a fat old Canadian, Bear! I hope you had lots to be thankful for this holiday.

Those look Great, Disco!
But my cardio doctors (spoil sports) have sworn me off red meat. The rotten bass droppings.
You sure do a neat foiling. Mine usually looks like a New York gum wrapper.

Those look Great, Disco!
But my cardio doctors (spoil sports) have sworn me off red meat. The rotten bass droppings.
You sure do a neat foiling. Mine usually looks like a New York gum wrapper.
Ribs don't count as red meat. There is no red in the bones. Have I ever lied to you before?

Another great looking dish Disco. Nicely done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Look great Disco

I'll have to try you cooking method for these. Did a rack of beef ribs on the smoker once and they turned out mushy. Guess I should have finished them up on the grill. But yours look like they turned out perfect.

Look great Disco

I'll have to try you cooking method for these. Did a rack of beef ribs on the smoker once and they turned out mushy. Guess I should have finished them up on the grill. But yours look like they turned out perfect.
I had that problem in my early days of smoking. If you give them time out of the moist heat it tightens them up again.

Reactions: ksblazer
Damn it Disco, I wasn't gonna eat dessert but after viewing these I've suddenly discovered several ounces of free space.
Those look really good, a lot of TLC put into those and I bet you're sandbagging us on how good they really were.
Keep us from making the trek North to raid your fridge.

Looks freaking fantastic!
Like!

Reactions: disco
Damn it Disco, I wasn't gonna eat dessert but after viewing these I've suddenly discovered several ounces of free space.
Those look really good, a lot of TLC put into those and I bet you're sandbagging us on how good they really were.
Keep us from making the trek North to raid your fridge.

Looks freaking fantastic!
Like!
Most kind! No need to prevaricate, you are always welcome at Casa Disco, Chile!

Fantastic looking ribs Disco!
What a great idea!!
I'm a STL rib kinda guy, but those beef ribs could make me a convert!!
Al

Fantastic looking ribs Disco!
What a great idea!!
I'm a STL rib kinda guy, but those beef ribs could make me a convert!!
Al
Thanks, Al! I love my pork ribs but beef done right is a special treat too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky