Burn Bans

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by noogsmoke, Jul 17, 2013.

1. noogsmoke

noogsmoke Newbie

We have a strict burn ban on fires in barrels.  I have no $ for sandblasting/powdercoating.  Will a wire brush be sufficient inside and out?

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nope.....  gotta get the inside, to a high enough temp, to burn off the bad stuff....  Sorry......  Dave

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Check those laws.

All of the townships around here have burn bans now & then, but the only thing allowed is burning in a barrel, which is what you need.

Bear

4. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Would the burn ban on fires in barrels include burning out your new cooker?  Just a thought.

Tom 

5. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Harbor Freight has a propane warming torch that is only$20....you'll be able to get away with using that..doesn't produce smoke and will work great!

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

The barrel I just had blasted was only $25.00 to be blasted.

We too cannot do any outdoor burning, except in a lidded BBQ/smoker right now.

Using an electric grinder with a wire wheel would do it, but loud, and you'd spend $25+ on wheels and dust masks.

7. fwismoker

$25 was a great deal farmer! ;)

8. Would sand blasting be enough to get the nasties out of a barrel that is lined? I haven't bought a barrel yet and I can't burn one out where I am, but looking at other options.

9. fwismoker

you can sand blast and do a good cure or take a weed burner and burn it.

10. noxcuse

noxcuse Newbie

We have burn bans during early spring when it's dry out. Our law says no open fires. Maybe a piece of expanded metal over the hole will suffice? That flies here. Not sure about where you are.

-----
    Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

11. Between burn bans and living in an apartment building, burning hot like that and a big flame isn't going to fly. We can cook in the parking lot, but that would be a controlled flame and covered. I think a torch or a weed burner may be in order if sand blasting doesn't do it. If its just a rust inhibitor, a burn out is not needed, correct? Just a cleaning and painting, then seasoning?

12. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sand blasting will work and then just a normal seasoning burn. To have my barrel sand blasted and the exterior powder coated was only $75. To just have it sand blasted was going to be $25.Most powder coaters also do sand blasting, as well as auto body shops. Ask around and you should be able to find someone to blast it for a fair price.

13. garyt

garyt Smoking Fanatic

We cant have a burn barrel where I live either, folks burning garbage, I spoke to the fire chief and told him what I wanted to burn in a barrel for he said go for it, just to let him know when and where incase someone complained