Burger Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
the one that held the hammer for so many years takes a hour to be able to make a fist after I get out of bed.
Well mines from a screw gun . Right thumb is like a light switch . Click it's up ... click it's down . No in between , and yes It does click . Hurts so bad .
One question ,,, I went back to the first post to get the recipe . Just wondering ,,, when does the ball peen hammer get used ?

Reactions: sawhorseray
One question ,,, I went back to the first post to get the recipe . Just wondering ,,, when does the ball peen hammer get used ?

LOL, nice catch Rich! That little pin where the mixer tilts up and down has a tendency to wiggle loose ever since we got it. I think if I let it go the pin would fall out and the mixer would come apart. I use the little hammer to tap the pin back flush. RAY

That was a whole different recipe than the one I've been using the last few years Dan. That was the one with the milk, egg, and boiling water, came out pretty heavy. I actually loved the flavor and even used it for pizza dough a few times. Wife said the buns were like lead sinkers, tho maybe if I didn't overwork the dough they'd come out lighter. Now that I have a pound of yeast on the way to my house maybe I'll go back and revisit that recipe, maybe. RAY

Reactions: DanMcG
Sounds like a great recipe to try Ray! Wife just said the other day she wanted to make hamburger buns. But first some homemade crescent rolls have been asked for (me and my son). So probably not today but soon.

Ryan

Hey Ray , Just a quick thanks for the recipe, it the best I've ever made. I'm pretty rusty, it's been years since I made bread. but all in all they came out great tasting, light and airy yet should hold up great for a hot dogs.
I got some brats defrosting now, should be tomorrows dinner.
Thanks again, Dan

Last edited:
Hey Ray , Just a quick thanks for the recipe, it the best I've ever made. I'm pretty rusty, it's been years since I made bread. but all in all they came out great tasting, light and airy yet should hold up great for a hot dogs. I got some brats defrosting now, should be tomorrows dinner. Thanks again, Dan

Wow Dan, that's great and I'm very happy you like the recipe! I went thru a lot of recipes over the years before landing on this one, I like it too. RAY

Thanks for the recipe Ray, they turned out awesome!

20200516_223819.jpg

I don't bake much bread so I know anyone can do this. Seems to be missing two of them tho. I had to have one with butter and my son said they're so good they didn't need any butter.

Thanks again
Ryan

Thanks for the recipe Ray, they turned out awesome!I don't bake much bread so I know anyone can do this. Seems to be missing two of them tho. I had to have one with butter and my son said they're so good they didn't need any butter.
Thanks again Ryan

Wow Ryan, for first shot out of the cannon those buns look perfect! Glad you like them, and happy your son does too! RAY

I'll have to agree with him . When I made these , I ate 2 straight up !
You did a great job on those .
Thank you! My wife said she's gonna turn the bread making over to me. But it sure helps to have people here that make it much easier with all their knowledge and advice.

Ryan

sawhorseray sawhorseray I had to get this back out there again. Needed some buns and remembered I had this bookmarked so yesterday I swung into action. All ingredients in and gave it a ride. It was a total about 8 mins for it to pickup all the flour.
20211019_111654.jpg

Kneaded for a bit and balled up ready for the rise.
20211019_112325.jpg
20211019_132539.jpg

Balled up and flattened.
20211019_133222.jpg

15 mins later.
20211019_143841.jpg

They were so darn good I made another batch today. I really have to work on my shaping as you can see (maybe a cookie cutter :emoji_laughing: ) was kinda in a rush,
20211020_120527.jpg
but they are excellent hot out of the oven with a bit of butter. Today's only got a 5 min spin, not a real big difference in texture.
Thanks again Ray. . .

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the shaping. Like I told my young bride so many years ago about lumps in the mashed potatoes. That's how you know it's homemade. Here too, those mis-shaped buns sure as heck didn't come that way from the store.
Looks great, by the way.

Thank you so much WR, that batch o buns look great, big like! if I were 30 years younger I'd gobble down three with some soft butter the moment they came out of the oven. Now I do one, and want for another. RAY

Reactions: Winterrider
Great looking buns! Ray's recipe is definitely a keeper! I was just thinking of them last Saturday... was having a pork tenderloin that was long and narrow, now that would take an irregular shaped bun!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky