Building new wood rack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1ray

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Garland Tx
Well my old wooden wood rack I built has now rotted out and was thinking of getting the welder out and marking a new one out of steel. Dose anyone have any good ideas on building one. Also how do you store your wood?

I built a few racks last year for myself as well. I just used 11/2" x .100 wall square tubing. Real basic design, a rectangle bottom, with rectangle uprights. The same design as the amazon one above. I attached the whole thing to treated 4x4s cut to 4 '. No top to speak of, I just tarp the top for now but leave it open on the sides so air can flow through. I plan to put a proper sloped tip on with tin to keep the rain off. They seem to be working, my last year wood is looking nice and seasoned.

I'll post some picks when I get back home so.

Corey

Reactions: jcam222
I built a few racks last year for myself as well. I just used 11/2" x .100 wall square tubing. Real basic design, a rectangle bottom, with rectangle uprights. The same design as the amazon one above. I attached the whole thing to treated 4x4s cut to 4 '. No top to speak of, I just tarp the top for now but leave it open on the sides so air can flow through. I plan to put a proper sloped tip on with tin to keep the rain off. They seem to be working, my last year wood is looking nice and seasoned.

I'll post some picks when I get back home so.

Corey
Ok I would love to see it Thank You

I made a couple with 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron... did the ends with it too... made it like the amazon one above... the sides extended down past the bottom rack about 6-8" and put a piece of 1/4" steel plate on the bottom for feet.. will never rot out ...
I turned the angle iron so the corner (point) is up for the wood to set on... less contact surface ...

Wow do you have any picks ? I don’t have any angle so to say but have a bunch of old bed frames to work with.

I just ordered some of these to use with pressure treated wood.
Those work very well.

Now is the time to buy around here....
Tractor Supply, Lowes etc.... usually have them on sale, making room for more seasonal stuff.

Thanks I like that. That is much easier than what I was goin to do. I had some old bed frames I was going to weld togethe.
Another plus to the brackets is you can adjust the size of the rack in case you have to move it to another spot .

Hope this works, I've never attached a picture with my phone before.

Corey
20210327_124204.jpg

Reactions: 1ray
Wow that’s looks nice. Did you split all that yourself? If so what did you use to split it?
I have a 20 ton wood splitter I bought from a place called Range Road. They are a company based out of my Province of Alberta so it was a no brainer to buy from them. Works amazing, I'm too old to split that amount by hand, it would kill me 😁😁

I have a 20 ton wood splitter I bought from a place called Range Road. They are a company based out of my Province of Alberta so it was a no brainer to buy from them. Works amazing, I'm too old to split that amount by hand, it would kill me 😁😁
O ok I hav a manual wood splitter from harbor freight but it is still a lot of work. And is limited to the size I can split.

Attachments

• E0C710F9-BB95-44AE-A2B7-937907BC38E7.jpeg
    E0C710F9-BB95-44AE-A2B7-937907BC38E7.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky