Buffalo style chicken wing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnduoh

Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
So I am planning on my first smoked wings for the game this weekend. I have made oven baked wings before and plan to sauce with a Frank's and butter buffalo style sauce. After extensively searching this forum I am still left with a question. While most people seem to love the injected Scarbelly wings I won't have an injector available for this cook as I am cooking at a friends. So my question is will I get the best results from dry rub, then smoke, then oven or grill finish, and sauce after? Or better off with a marinade then smoke, then high heat finish?
Thanks in advance

Johnduoh , Rush over to your neighborhood Bass Pro , Caebelas , or Wally World and P/U an injector needle. I've even seen them hanging in Grocery isles.

Grab one the next time you are shopping and try the injection method. You'll like them , and will do them again , and again . . . Heck , you can inject , cover in well seasoned flour and fry them in your Turkey fryer or countertop fryer . You can coat them with more "Buffalo" sauce and enjoy them in front of the T.V.

Whatever you do , have fun and . . .

One caveat.

Spend the money to get a quality, well built, sturdy injector.

The cheap ones will give you nothing but grief!

Please don't ask me how I know! 
th_crybaby2.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

Please give us some Q-View!

I've smoked buffalo wings once before a couple of years ago.  One of my first smoking experiences.  I didn't inject the wings, just rolled them around in a dry rub, smoked for 1.5 hrs at around 225.  Looking back now, I probably should have smoked them at a higher heat.  Anyway, after they came off the smoker, I deep-fried them for maybe 30-45 seconds to give the skin a crispy-ness.  Once all of that was done, I rolled them in sauce and then kept in a crock-pot to keep warm.  Mmhmm they were delicious.

I'll have to try injecting when I do wings again.  In fact, since it has been a couple of years, I should do them soon.  You've inspired me.

I like to take my wings and put them in a bag with olive oil and some a rub. Then shake them up and make sure they get well coated and let them sit n the fridge for an hour or two. Then smoke them until their done. When I pull them off the smoker I roll them in a buffalo sauce and throw them on a hot grill to caramelize the sauce and crisp the wings up. I love them and have no complaints form friend sand family. 

Great now I am hungry for wings. 
drool.gif

I oven baked some wings last weekend and they were great. I injected them with Buffalo Wing sauce before baking and did not sauce them afterwards. Spicy, but not messy. ; ' )

i never inject anything but thanksgiving turkeys.....as far as wings go i let them sit overnight in your choice of hotsauce or buffalo sauce and butter in this instance then grill them indirect on the grill for 20 mins on each side

I've not smoked any wings yet, but have been thinking of going that route soon.  But I do make some good wings!  I like to roll them in rub, then let them rest a while, then to the grill (or oven broiler if I'm lazy) to cook them just done and starting to crisp.  I let them cool down, then toss half of them in bbq sauce, the other half in a parmesan garlic butter mixture.  If grilling, I wrap them lightly in foil and heat them back up on the grill, for the oven I just put them on a sheet pan and heat them at about 250 until hot and the sauces stick well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky