BUCKBOARD BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well with the price of bellies so high , I decided to make a batch of BB bacon.
Actually I think I like the flavor better than belly bacon.
Anyhow I used 1/2 of an 8lb butt, & dry rubbed it using the bacon calculator http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html.
Also added about 1/4 cup of black pepper. Let it go for 2 weeks flipping every day, then rinse & soak in ice water for 3 hours.
Next a 4 day dry in the fridge.
Then 10 hours of cold smoke using apple pellets in the Amazen tray.
Then 4 more days in the fridge, and finally 3 hours in the freezer.
Didn’t take any photo’s of the process, but it worked out perfectly.
I sliced it up on Father’s Day morning.
Judy made Challah bread French toast, I cooked a bunch of the bacon, & our neighbor brought over the mimosas.
Sorry, but the only photo I got was the bacon sliced.

37D20D42-0724-4B80-B515-B259A31E5395.jpeg

Thanks for looking fellas!
Al

Nice work Al . I have to agree on the flavor .
Ground formed is another option for the price .

Wow!!! Al, that looks fantastic! Looks like charcuterie to me... So, this is basically uncooked: cured for two weeks, dried for 8 hours total and cold smoked for 10 hours. 3 hours in the freezer just to harden it a bit for slicing, I guess... Correct? Looks so nice... I am going to try it as soon as my local store has pork butt on sale. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Elcapiton73
Looks awesome Al! Big like!
looks excellent Al!
Awesome! Looks good!
Nice work Al . I have to agree on the flavor .
Ground formed is another option for the price .
Beautiful bacon Al.
Meaty goodness!
Nicely done! Looks delicious!
Looks fantastic Al !

Thanks for the kind words & likes guys!
Al

Wow!!! Al, that looks fantastic! Looks like charcuterie to me... So, this is basically uncooked: cured for two weeks, dried for 8 hours total and cold smoked for 10 hours. 3 hours in the freezer just to harden it a bit for slicing, I guess... Correct? Looks so nice... I am going to try it as soon as my local store has pork butt on sale. Thank you for sharing!

No it is dried for 8 days total, not 8 hours.
4 days before smoking, and 4 days after smoking.
It does have the color of charcuterie, but it has fantastic texture & tastes like bacon. And yes it’s uncooked & ready to fry. Thank you for the nice comment.
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
Makes me glad I have a dozen lbs or so to smoke next week (especially with tomatoes getting good!)

Just gorgeous bacon Al. Such deep color. Nicely done Sir.
Makes me glad I have a dozen lbs or so to smoke next week (especially with tomatoes getting good!)
That looks fantastic!
Great color on that BB Al, big Like! RAY
Looks great to me! Like!
Looks great Al!
Al

Looks AWESOME

Thanks again fellas for the nice comments & the likes!
Al

Looks great, Al! I need to try this.
Just curious; did you use a boneless butt or slice up to the bone?

Thank you!
I used a bone in butt & cut out a piece that I wanted to use for bacon. I tried to get a uniform piece that was mostly in a rectangular shape. I also sliced it against the grain, when it was done. It really makes a difference in the tenderness. I used the rest to grind up & make Hot Italian meatballs. So I have a bunch in the freezer. Thank you for the compliment!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky