BUCKBOARD BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the nice comment!
It really had a good flavor, and I think were doing BLT’s for lunch today too!
Al
I will be in touch with you through P/M's when I'm ready Al, I would really like to learn how to make this, and I know I will need some guidance.

Thank you.
Dan

I will be in touch with you through P/M's when I'm ready Al, I would really like to learn how to make this, and I know I will need some guidance.

Thank you.
Dan

No problem Dan,
I will be more than happy to take you through each step. Just let me know when you are ready!
Al

Reactions: forktender
Al. I have a whole Pork Butt that used Dave's injection on. Was planning on smoking for ham tomorrow. Could I just cut some of that off and do this with it?

Al. I have a whole Pork Butt that used Dave's injection on. Was planning on smoking for ham tomorrow. Could I just cut some of that off and do this with it?

Yes I don’t see why not. Since you used a wet brine, instead of a dry brine it may have a bit different texture, but it still should be good.
Al

used Dave's injection on. Was planning on smoking for ham tomorrow. Could I just cut some of that off and do this with it?
Are you talking about the smoking regiment , or just for bacon ?
If you used the injection as written , with the veg stock and the phosphates , the meat retains pretty much all of the moisture you injected . So if frying the slices it takes a bit of cooking to get it to crisp up .

I guess do the dry next time. I have a half boneless I can use. Got this one going now.

20211001_092639.jpg

Al, I took out a half pork butt off of freezer. Will take few days to thaw. I want to try your recipe. During the 4 day dry in fridge and 4 days after are you covering with anything?

No, air dry uncovered on a cooling rack.
Al

Thanks. Albertson has Pork butts for 0.87 but they run that every couple weeks. Figure I need to clean up freezer. Yours looks so good. I be happy if turns out close to that!

I’m sure you will do just fine. It is pretty easy to make!
Al

Got going. Going to smoke most of day. I see now why such a long dry time. Really gets some moisture out. Has shrunk and tightened up quite a bit. Not sure about unwrapped in fridge after though. Going to get pretty smelly in there. Is there any crtain way to slice? Will be using meat slicer.

Got going. Going to smoke most of day. I see now why such a long dry time. Really gets some moisture out. Has shrunk and tightened up quite a bit. Not sure about unwrapped in fridge after though. Going to get pretty smelly in there. Is there any crtain way to slice? Will be using meat slicer.

Unfortunately the grain runs a few different ways in a butt. I try to cut against the grain when possible.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky