Buckboard Bacon - had to try it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

echomules

Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Snohomish, WA
First of all thanks to all who posted the great detailed recipes, great inspiration, Thank You.

Started off with a large pork shoulder, split it, covered it with a chosen cure mix, and into the fridge for two weeks. Turning over the bag of meat occasionally to keep the cure on all the meat.
This is what it looked like after two weeks in the cure.

Pulled it out and sliced off a few pieces to check the saltyness.

A bit too salty, so into water to soak for an hour.

Dried off and into the smoker.

The timing of this project did not plan for no power for six days. So here’s my heat source, Lump charcoal. Not that unusual I like using charcoal for the heat.

I also had my homemade a-maze smoker going with maple pellets, got a good thick smoke going.

Pulled it out after seven hours.

After cooling overnight in the fridge, sliced up the small end piece and in the frypan for breakfast. Good stuff, tasted someplace between bacon and ham with a unique flavor. The flavor was a little strong on the sugar I think, but just right on the smoke and the soak did mellow the salt. I’ll try a variable of the recipe on the next round with less sugar. But that is the critical eval, the bacon will get eaten quickly, its good stuff.

Here’s the final product being sliced up.

Nice big pile of bbbacon sliced and the end bits cut for beans/cooking. It got vacuum packed in half pound or less packages.

Looks like even with the lack of power you pulled it off. Good looking bacon 

Looks-Great.gif
 Sounds like you need a back up generator. 

icon_cool.gif

man thats some great stuff Ha????? I'll be making some very shortly here myself. You jus can't get any better then Buck Board in my book.

Yup hot smoked.

Backup generator works great, was running for six days. But with the generator being responsible for the well's water pump (serious power draw), didn't want to put any other load on it. Besides charcoal just adds to the flavor.

Very nice BBB!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky