Brunswick Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shank

Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Norman, OK
Hey everyone, I searched the forum for a recipe for Brunswick Stew, but to no avail. I have one that I found on the WWW about 4 years ago that I have been using and it is outstanding. But knowing the history of the dish and it's many incarnations, I am asking if anyone has a variation.

In case you don't know what Brunswick is, it's a chopped pork and smoked chicken concoction made of leftover barbeque, sauces, and various vegetables. I lived in Mooresville, NC in 99/00 and stubmled across this delicacy. I am back to my Homeland (OK) since then, and I can tell you everytime I serve it - it gets emptied quickly.

Here's a link to Red's recipe - please post if you have a variation.
Red's Brunswick Stew

Tx,
Shank

Hi Shank,
I tried to attach a file with a great recepie for Brunswick Stew but I must have not gotten it right so here goes again. This is the closest recepie I have found to the stew I used to eat when I was a youngster in North Carolina. It was a staple at any BBQ. We made it in a large stew pot (looked exactly like a wash pot) and cooked it over an open fire.....slowly ... stirred with a large wooden paddle. Hope you try it because I know you will enjoy it. This recepie is different from the old one but the taste is very very similar.
And by the way, as mentioned in the message that I lost, I'd like to take credit for the recepie but it's not original. I really don't remember where I got it. I guarantee you'll like it.

Bill Smith

Georgian Brunswick Stew

1 pound round steak
1 pound boneless pork loin chops
3 medium onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
7 cups water
1 (3lb.) broiler-fryer, skinned and halved
2 (28 oz)cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 3/4 cups catsup
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 bay leaves
2 (17 oz) cans cream-style corn
2 ( 17 oz) cans lima beans, drained
1 (17 oz) can English peas, drained
3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons white binegar
1 (10 oz ) package frozen sliced okra, thawed

Combine firstr 6 ingredients in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add chicken, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove meat from broth, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cool meat; bone and coarsely chop. Set meat aside.

Add tomatoes and next 6 ingredients to broth; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in meat, corn, beans, peas, potatoes, and vinegar; simmer, uncovered 45 minutes stirring often. Add okra; cook 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
Yield: 6 1/2 quarts.

When I was a much younger and not so wise young man, I wanted to try some Brunswick stew. So I went to the Fish and Game office and told them I wanted a hunting license for a Brunswick. They just laughed me right out of the office. Sigh!! How was I to know that it was a stew that had it's origins in Brunswick County, Virginia? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had beef stew, rabbit stew, chicken stew and venison stew so I figured Brunswick stew had to come from a Brunswick whatever that is. I was quickly shown the error of my thinking and now I have a couple of recipes to add to my stew collection.

And now from the Brunswick County, Brunswick Stewmaster's Association
. . .

Brunswick Stew Proclamation Recipe
Serves 600

Ingredients
1 round box-26oz. salt
18 gallons butterbeans
18 gallons tomatoes
12 gallons corn
210 lbs chicken
12 lbs white meat, ground
12 lbs butter
100lbs potatoes
100lbs onions
4 oz red pepper
4 oz black pepper

Directions: Put 210 lbs. of chicken in pot, cover with water and boil; add onions and potatoes, then add tomatoes and stir well at all times, then add butterbeans and seasonings. Continue cooking and add corn after cooking about 6 hours, and let corn cook for 30 minutes and turn heat off and continue stirring until served.

Makes 75 gallons
Brought to you by the members of the Brunswick Stewmaster's Association

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky