Brunswick IPA Stew “Go” with Long Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’ve been inspired by the hearty soup/stew posts and wanted to have a go at the Brunswick, with a little IPA twist. Family came into town For the weekend and I wanted a lot of different foods and a stew simmering for the smell and a bowl whenever someone wanted to warm up as the Halloween excitement from all the kids took up any freetimeThis was a slow build from days of leftovers.

Wednesday: A Rosemary/SPOG spatchcocked chicken for my Wife:
EB244508-2C61-4311-87CB-A639A10786A3.jpeg

2D81A41B-6241-4BE4-9DE5-CDAFBCB6184E.jpeg
59F84A41-D1F5-4272-A001-5F59C06D55F5.jpeg

Thursday was a mustard rub chicken Breast:
E2B8E144-78A7-46BC-B65C-E710638437FB.jpeg
1F9B5D00-E1F3-4595-AB6D-B86E7DF7F00E.jpeg
D646DB7F-B9B8-492D-9DB1-4BCB5F954B85.jpeg
19AFB39F-5BFB-4D8A-94C6-B4C6AEC58778.jpeg

Friday was the pork butt, Memphis dust rub, I like using a yellow mustard binder…I know, different opinions, but I like it. Spritzed with hard cider.
I also got a little reminder from the AMAZN that it gets hot!!!!!!
CA730F41-F97A-4D6C-A313-5CA0CEC44E18.jpeg
DE54BB93-F390-4CE7-910A-8AF4F93877FA.jpeg

6EAF8B65-0CFA-454E-A1DE-30DAEF195049.jpeg

F82D6EC9-02BA-4978-BF5B-063DE1568AAC.jpeg

Pulled the butt by hand Friday night after a rest for dinner/breakfast then tried a new toy my wife gave me with a really aggressive shredding force….power tools and shredding pork, a must!
7A3144B0-9D0B-4846-B05F-6EE49B2DDE5C.jpeg
0B946C33-F2A6-4357-99CB-80B872AA95F2.jpeg

62606462-C3B5-48C0-BAD9-33516A1C82F6.jpeg
BBAD448A-86C1-4E76-A9F8-BDD456BC62B8.jpeg

Friday started building the stew with garlic, onion, tomatoes, butter beans (didn’t have Lima), corn, all the leftover chicken, chicken broth and simmered for many hours.
FE26A2DA-953E-4C35-A10B-CAE578FA69EA.jpeg

Saturday Kept simmering then added the pulled pork…now shredded pork about a cup barbecue sauce, tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2ish tablespoons brown sugar, teaspoon cayenne, salt, freshly ground black pepper…… then a real nice Founders IPA
4C84A32E-2EDC-4DC4-A570-D8C2939DDD46.jpeg

Simmered through Saturday,
72ACE08E-842B-4A72-BEF5-1FCE5E453F72.jpeg
1A55B429-2E00-4029-93B5-76769BFE84F8.jpeg
Family gobbled it up most of Saturday and gone by Sunday!

Fun recipe, the IPA was a real nice flavor to add. I think the pulled pork would have been a better texture for the stew. Shredded made it too mushy. Taste was perfect for cooler weather!
sorry for length, thank you for your time!
JW

Last edited:
Those are all great looking meals that I’d love to eat. That attachment for the pulled pork is a new one to me but looks very efficient 🙂

Reactions: bauchjw
Nice!! Four great meals in one post. A true one stop shop :emoji_relaxed:
I haven't tried Brunswick stew yet but it's on my list.
I'll have to pass on the shredder machine.
It takes two people to operate....

Good old amaze n tray burns...been there done that, with a tube. It smarts.

On the plus side, everything else looks great. Glad it turned out well.

That all looks great man nice job! I did a big crock pot of Bruswick stew last week. TNJAKE TNJAKE has a great recipe. How did you like the drill attachment? I have about 6 pairs of the claws mostly given to me as gifts but I always go back to hand pulling to make sure I get all the fat chunks out of it.

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
Sure are alot of tasty cooks there. Nice work all around. I love Brunswick stew and agree about using pulled pork instead of finely chopped. Still looks delicious

Those are all great looking meals that I’d love to eat. That attachment for the pulled pork is a new one to me but looks very efficient 🙂
Thank you! I appreciate your time. Yes, it’s fun to use and definitely goes fast, but creates a whole different consistency in the pork. Fun to try!

Nice!! Four great meals in one post. A true one stop shop :emoji_relaxed:
I haven't tried Brunswick stew yet but it's on my list.
I'll have to pass on the shredder machine.
It takes two people to operate....
Thank you! I’d recommend the stew, very tasty! Haha, yes, anytime I have a tool out the boy needs to help!

Reactions: forktender
That all looks great man nice job! I did a big crock pot of Bruswick stew last week. TNJAKE TNJAKE has a great recipe. How did you like the drill attachment? I have about 6 pairs of the claws mostly given to me as gifts but I always go back to hand pulling to make sure I get all the fat chunks out of it.
Thank you! I’ll check out TJs recipe, I know he never misses the mark! I liked the attachment, but the pork comes out with a lot different texture that I’m not used to. Definitely something to keep for the right job/texture!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Sure are alot of tasty cooks there. Nice work all around. I love Brunswick stew and agree about using pulled pork instead of finely chopped. Still looks delicious
Thank you! I’ll use your recipe next go and be sure to use the more substantial pork. I’m keeping the IPA in there though!
JW

Bunch of good eats right there . Loving the stew though .
Nice work .
Thank you, I appreciate your time. It all came out pretty tasty!

Nice looking Brunswick stew and some fine help there too !
Give it a go it's pretty tasty. You can absolutely use a beer in it. I use beer in chili and cowboy queso, chucks etc . Will use it myself Nextime I make brunswick and not sure why I haven't already

However I do like the chop you put on that butt. That's how most people do in the Carolinas. Love it that way on a sammich

Looks great to me, I have a 5 finger shredder that works really well, easier to build sandwichs/ portion control lol

Wow JW!! That looks and sounds fantastic. Quite an accumulation of goodies that went into that meal. It'd be the perfect meal for us today, that's for sure. Cold, windy, raining like all get-out. Problem is that I don't have time to make it, but some rendition of this will get made, I can promise you that. BTW, I have a couple of "tattoos" that look exactly like the ones on your finger :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice looking Brunswick stew and some fine help there too !
Thank you! he’s a blast to have around, loves any power tools and anything that burns or makes loud noises….I’m hoping he stays on the path!

However I do like the chop you put on that butt. That's how most people do in the Carolinas. Love it that way on a sammich

I heard it’s more of a SC through Alabama thing for a lot of people. I’m Midwest with more KC influence growing up, but I view it like Chicago vrs New York style pizza, both are delicious and have their own time snd place!

Looks great to me, I have a 5 finger shredder that works really well, easier to build sandwichs/ portion control lol
Haha! I’m now in that camp, portion control!

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!
Al
Thank you Al

Wow JW!! That looks and sounds fantastic. Quite an accumulation of goodies that went into that meal. It'd be the perfect meal for us today, that's for sure. Cold, windy, raining like all get-out. Problem is that I don't have time to make it, but some rendition of this will get made, I can promise you that. BTW, I have a couple of "tattoos" that look exactly like the ones on your finger :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thank you Robert! It was definitely tasty on a cold night! It definitely helped to do over several days using leftovers. Haha, those tattoos are fun, I always tell my kids that scars are reminders that you’re doing something with your life, but I had a hard time remembering that when I was cursing and feeling like a fool!
Stay warm!
JW

Give it a go it's pretty tasty. You can absolutely use a beer in it. I use beer in chili and cowboy queso, chucks etc . Will use it myself Nextime I make brunswick and not sure why I haven't already
Last night as I was reading this

Me : Think I want to make some Brunswick stew. We love B.S .
Wife : You've never made Brunswick stew
Me : I'd never made pulled chuck until last week and you loved it. And these folks at SMF say I can !
Wife : Whatever lol

Last night as I was reading this

Me : Think I want to make some Brunswick stew. We love B.S .
Wife : You've never made Brunswick stew
Me : I'd never made pulled chuck until last week and you loved it. And these folks at SMF say I can !
Wife : Whatever lol
Haha! That sounds almost identical to conversations in my house!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky