1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

brown sugar bourbon rub

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by Kevin J, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Looking for a recipe for a brown sugar Bourbon rub had a commercial one i liked so want to duplicate anyone have a recipe

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You will need a member whom has a jar of that stuff and the ability to reverse engineer it. Not an easy thing to do. Just ask the thousands of people that spent the last 50 years searching for the BIG 11 from KFC...JJ

3. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will have to do some experimenting

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There are a couple of online sites that sell Bourbon Powder. Dry 2C of Dark Brown Sugar, spread out on a sheet pan, in a 200°F Oven for 15 minutes. Cool and break up the clumps, rubbing it between your hands or pulse in a processor. Combine 1/2C B Sugar with 1Tbs Bourbon Powder, 1Tbs Kosher Salt and 1Tbs Course Black Pepper. Taste it and fill in the holes. Start with 1tsp of other ingredients and adjust with more until it taste good. Might be Garlic, Onion, Paprika or other. The Key is to stay Brown Sugar and Bourbon forward. The rest just rounds it out...JJ

5. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

When you figure it out.....ya gotta post the recipe...<wink>

6. Thanks for a starting point. trial and error is always fun as long as I can still eat it

7. Will do for sure

8. KJ brown sugar bourbon rub
    1/4 cup onion powder
    1 1/2 cup brown sugar dried out and broken up
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup paprika
    3 TBS black pepper
    1 TBS cayenne
    1 1/2 TBS chili powder
    2 TBS bourbon powder (may cut back slightly )

Will use on Saturday for some beef ribs and a pork tenderloin

indaswamp likes this.
  9. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

McCormick's web site has a full list of ingredients:

SEA SALT
    BROWN SUGAR
    DRIED CANE SYRUP
    MOLASSES
    GARLIC
    ONION
    RED BELL PEPPER
    CITRIC ACID
    SUNFLOWER OIL
    EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA
    AND NATURAL FLAVOR (INCLUDING MALTED BARLEY WHISKEY EXTRACTS)

Looks like yours is pretty close except for the red pepper.

10. Thanks yes it does a little hit is never a bad thing IMO