Brisky and Pork Belly Burnt Ends project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CheapSmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 10, 2011
Mokena, il
Busting out my Masterbuilt smoker since it's going to be 70 today. Doing a full brisket(a little under 15lbs) and burnt ends + trying out some pork belly burnt ends.(a little under 9lbs)
Yesterday I tried drying out the meat with a fan for 1hr or so then used a small thin coat of mustard and rubbed it down(I been researching pellicle, even though it's not fully clear on meat) the pork belly I cubbed up in some pretty big cubes and put my normal pork rub on there. Let it sit over night. It is now 430Am and I just threw the brisket on. Definately needed some coffee so put on some Mr. Dapper Coffee ☕. Im really excited to try the pork belly, I did about 3" cubes, was going to throw a couple in early to get a sense of how long it's going to take.
Also have some koho salmon as an early snack (gonna try the pellicle thing with that too) and trying the new Ohio guys baked beans recipie in the smoker.
PXL_20201009_091925194.jpg PXL_20201008_235315634.jpg

Reactions: Johnny Ray
Reserved for Q
I tried a few peices of the pork belly to see timing and such. Looks like 3hrs and they are are at 205ish
PXL_20201009_153006975.jpg
PXL_20201009_160611555.jpg
PXL_20201009_162018897.jpg PXL_20201009_193159254.jpg PXL_20201009_193004388.jpg
PXL_20201009_205316545.jpg
PXL_20201009_205505259.jpg
PXL_20201009_193159254.jpg
PXL_20201009_225541723.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!! For pellicle, over night in fridge uncovered should help. That is what I do with my bacon. Fridge is a good dry environment.

Looks great!! For pellicle, over night in fridge uncovered should help. That is what I do with my bacon. Fridge is a good dry environment.
Ok so I did the counter yesterday with a fan on it until it got sticky. After I rubbed it up and put in the fridge uncovered. Until this morning, so hopefully that works. I read that with the dry environment with the fridge but I couldn't find if you do that then add the rub in the morning or what the preferred method is for building pellicle and giving the rub time to penetrate. So trial and error at this point

Reactions: jcoleman66
Ok so I did the counter yesterday with a fan on it until it got sticky. After I rubbed it up and put in the fridge uncovered. Until this morning, so hopefully that works. I read that with the dry environment with the fridge but I couldn't find if you do that then add the rub in the morning or what the preferred method is for building pellicle and giving the rub time to penetrate. So trial and error at this point
Before the rub.... Looks like you used mustard as a binder, which is what I do. If you do that not sure you need to develop a pellicle first. I do it for bacon since I am not adding any rub past what was done during curing.
It is one big ol' experiment :emoji_wink:

Reactions: CheapSmoker
Before the rub.... Looks like you used mustard as a binder, which is what I do. If you do that not sure you need to develop a pellicle first. I do it for bacon since I am not adding any rub past what was done during curing.
It is one big ol' experiment :emoji_wink:
Yeah I figured with the mustard. So that's why I dried it under a fan first. Not sure if that helped. If you do the pellicle route I wonder if you need the binder because of the stickiness of the meat?

Yeah I figured with the mustard. So that's why I dried it under a fan first. Not sure if that helped. If you do the pellicle route I wonder if you need the binder because of the stickiness of the meat?
I have seen with and without a binder. Some say to bring meat to room temp before cooking, on that I am on the fence. Either you wait for temp outside the smoker or inside. I have always used mustard, never gotten a taste from it. If you are happy with your method go with it. Just practice meat safety, if you want a pellicle I would over night in fridge, uncovered without rub or binder. Try both ways and see which you like better.

Reactions: CheapSmoker
Looks like your having some fun today!!
Al
I am! Lol my smoker is currently full. 1 rack for brisket, 1 rack for baked beans(2 half pans) 2 racks for pork belly chunks.

I really need to research a new vertical smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky