brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
[font=&quot]I Would Highly Suggest Reading these posts on Food Safety by bbally. [/font]

[font=&quot]This thread will tell you basically everything you need to know and the man explaining it is[/font]
[font=&quot]both a ServSafe Instructor and a HACCP Instructor.[/font]
[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=72852&page=2[/font]

[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=86620[/font]

[font=&quot]Here you can get the 2009 USDA Food Safety Guide from his site.[/font]
[font=&quot]http://prochefblog.com/public_pics/f...09foodcode.pdf[/font]

Actually RonP is absolutely correct.

And I don't have any hang up at all about saying the posted smoke times and temps are wrong and a violation of proper food safety methods.

Ron's point on temperature abuse is correct, spot on!

While botulism is one problem that causes food poisoning, it is not combatted by adding oxygen to the burner box. It is combatted by not performing time temperature abuses that allow colony counts to get high enough to cause MLDL of toxin.

The reason for the long time delay in proper temperature threshholds being reached is that you have violated the minimum therm requirements for a roast that size. The minimum temperature allowed for a roast that size is 200 F sustained.

You need to adjust your smoke temps up to proper minimum levels to give yourself maximum benefit of putting out a safe finished product.

Insta Cure™ No.1, " Nitrite"
a basic cure used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning. This includes poultry,
fish, ham, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates and other products too numerous to mention.
Formerly Prague Powder #1. Insta Cure™ #1 contains salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%).

intstacure No2 " Nitrate"
A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami,
genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not
require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release
capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure
the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2
contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%).
each winter i do alot of deer meat for the family, ive got a decent set up for doing it, not large but ican
mix 17 lb batches, i can have 3 batches ready for stuffing in one evening.
1001698it4.jpg

1001696qb5.jpg

i do so much jerky with this stuff i have pounds of the cure left over as it takes less cure for ground meat
then the whole muscle meat, this is also Nitrite cure.
cure1.jpg

cureno1.jpg

and for the brine
img03941.jpg

having a problem with the pages loading tonight, lucky to get what i had posted. ill edit the thumbnails next chance i get.

You wouldn't be having these problems if you used Photobucket.

[font=&quot]How to post Qview to Forum:[/font]

[font=&quot]When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...[/font]

[font=&quot]Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...[/font]

[font=&quot]Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.[/font]

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial[/font]

[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034[/font]

I do see a deeper point being brought up here that I didn't think of before, we all have a tendency to defend ones self but in this case I choose not to in the fear that if someone else would try this and have a bad outcome or worse. What I posted was not meant for all to try as there is a big risk.
I've never handed myself the short end of the stick on safety during the last 16 years of smoking meat and being 43 and single and from the last report there still saying I cant take my money with me :-)
The time chart should be removed so it doesn't get tried with a bad outcome, ill remove what I can but I wont be able to get all of them.

No foul man, as long as you gathered some useful information, leave it up for others to learn by.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ronp has a point, but if you want to remove the time chart there is Edit, in lower right of forum window. Or delete the photo at imageshack.

Pike, I appreciate your humility under such heavy critiquing. Your a gentleman sir.

Kudos to you Pike for seeing the reasoning behind the critique. remember to not take something like this personal, there were some great issues talked about in your thread and hopefully a few more people gained knowledge in the methods of safe meat cooking processes. also perhaps some were not aware this forum had a food saftey sub forum. we do place saftey first and foremost especially since this is an open forum and people in all skill levels have access too. so when we post we must assume that someone with the least amount of knowledge and expierience is reading the post. i know ron, pignIt, beerbQ, and bbally about as well as one can from a computer and they are all good people with the best interest in mind.
points.gif
to you for your summation of this thread, could not have been worded any better, it brought forth some important issues!!! looking forward to your next smoke!!!

ps, i like the PB picture uploads as well. no clicking on thumbnails. just read the post and enjoy the views. but thats just my 2 cents on that.

the problem i was having wasnt with imageshack at all, it was either thi site or my ISP and the connection (or a combo of both) the smf home page wouldent fully load, id get half of it then it would stop.
i have a account on photobucket and just to night i copied all my Q-view from Facebook to an album there http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...ish483/Q-view/

just because imageshack doesnt have albums but i still use imageshack the most.

fixed those broken links from last night

1001698it4.jpg

1001696qb5.jpg

cure1.jpg

img03941.jpg

And TY to you guys too as there are many different skill levels here and i may tend to forget that, and tho a "few" ways of smoking something may work for me but not for someone for another skill level.

but to say the least ive thrown away a few costly cuts of meat on a "gut feeling" that something wasnt right, a smell or a different look of the meat after it was smoked. one was a rather large cut of prime rib that the meat just didnt look right, maby it was injected before cryopacked that gave it a different look and it was perfictly fine but ill never know.
(the plants in the garden seemed to look better that summer
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
)

in my photobucket album youll find a single pic of a large pork shoulder that was tossed from having a funky smell and some faint green lines in the center, so i dont take chances at any cost or give out bad advice after i realize it anyway
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

not shure that one is probly 11-13 years old before that i had an old hand cranker that had too be clamped to a table to use. but that electric and my new kitchenaid ground up about 20 gal of deer meat.
j1kv7.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky