Brisket S&P Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Quick question, If you are using a simple S&P rub for beef can I just weigh out kosher/BP to get my 50/50? Am I overthinking it, just eyeball it? Also wasn’t sure if matters if kosher salt or sea salt. Just don’t want to ruin a brisket - gonna dry brine it for 24 hours or so and see what the result is. Hoping it helps keep my smaller briskets tender.

Use kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Mix 1/4 cup each together. However if you are planning on dry brining I wouldn't add salt to the rub and just hit it with the cbp

Warren's right, a lot of opinions on this. So here is mine:
For a 50/50 you could do it by weight if they grain size is different. If you are using 16 mesh and course kosher, you could probably do by volume.
If I were in your shoes, I would take 1/4 tsp/pound of course kosher salt and dry brine the brisket for 24 hours. Then when it was time to go on the smoker, I'd mix another 1/4 tsp/pound of course kosher salt and 1/2 tsp/pound of 16 mesh black pepper and rub the brisket with it. Then put it in the smoker. If you don't have 16 mesh pepper, use 1/8 tsp/pound.
I believe this is a balance between dry brining and getting some of the salty bite in the S&P rub.

Assuming a 16 lb brisket
Total salt: little less than a 1/4 cup
Total pepper: Little less than a 1/4 cup.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky