Brisket rub on pulled pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kaug23

Original poster
Aug 10, 2021
For several years I've been using 4Rivers brisket rub on all sorts of stuff. My wife loves it on fried fish, chicken, and steak. I used it on an actual brisket and it was great. It's the same one they use at their restaurants.

I was thinking about using it on pulled pork, but didn't know how it would turn out. It's got a lot of pepper in it and no sugar. Would this be a bad idea? I'm new at smoking and don't want to make an obvious mistake. Any input would be appreciated.

By the way, the rub recipe was posted free online by the restaurant, and it's pretty cheap to make.

Definitely worth giving it a shot if you have already enjoyed it on several other meats. If it isn't quite what you want then you can always add something to it manually that will make it fit your favorite pork profile of flavors. Life is too short to not try new things.

G

Reactions: Kaug23
I don't think it will be bad, bit of a different flavor profile, but just on the bark mostly. If you need a touch more sweet make a sauce. ;)

Many brisket rubs are salt, pepper and cayenne. It's no secret. The secret is all in the cooking.
GIEb7.jpg

You don't have to use just one rub.... layering rubs is a method many pitmasters use. For example, I make a garlic pepper seasoning I often use as a base rub, then add a 'signature' rub on top to make the flavors pop.

When they opened a location in Tallahassee, they posted the recipe in the newspaper. I copied it down and have been making it for years.

4R Brisket Rub
Makes 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons freshly ground black
pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar

They also had how they made the brisket at the restaurant, but I didn't care about that then. Now I wish I had payed more attention to it.

For several years I've been using 4Rivers brisket rub on all sorts of stuff. My wife loves it on fried fish, chicken, and steak. I used it on an actual brisket and it was great. It's the same one they use at their restaurants.

I was thinking about using it on pulled pork, but didn't know how it would turn out. It's got a lot of pepper in it and no sugar. Would this be a bad idea? I'm new at smoking and don't want to make an obvious mistake. Any input would be appreciated.

By the way, the rub recipe was posted free online by the restaurant, and it's pretty cheap to make.

Oh yeah you will be fine. I never put sugar on my pulled pork. I am born and raised here in Texas and I never saw anyone ever season BBQ with sugar so I don't season any of my BBQ with it etiher. Comes put fantastic! My brisket seasonign is SPOG. My pulled pork seasoning is SPOG+Paprika

Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll be using it on the pork. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I use the same no sugar rub on pretty much everything. One of my favorite ways to cook P.P. is salt, pepper and garlic. It tastes great, and it doesn't limit the ways I can use the leftovers.

As far as I know there is no set rule what flavor of rub to use on anything it comes down to your indivisible taste. As said you can adjust a rub to suit your taste. Many rubs are not used in their original state.

Warren

Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll be using it on the pork. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Another advantage to NOT having sugar in your BBQ seasoning/rub is that you can smoke stuff like pork butts, briskets, and pork ribs at smoker temps over 250F without fear of burning sugar and have it come out bitter.

For sweet flavor when you eat the meat, just use a BBQ sauce that has some sweetness and everything is good to go :)

I think any rub you use will enhance the meat weather it is pork, beef or chicken. But this is a personal choice. Some may love it & some may hate it. You just have to find a rub that your friends & family like, along with an injection that works too.
Al

Many brisket rubs are salt, pepper and cayenne. It's no secret. The secret is all in the cooking.
View attachment 507433

You don't have to use just one rub.... layering rubs is a method many pitmasters use. For example, I make a garlic pepper seasoning I often use as a base rub, then add a 'signature' rub on top to make the flavors pop.
Also agree with thirdeye you can build those flavors out. I tried a savory rub I made on a pork butt and the family preferred the original way I make it. I liked the savory it was different and I like to try new things. But family wins out:)

When they opened a location in Tallahassee, they posted the recipe in the newspaper. I copied it down and have been making it for years.

4R Brisket Rub
Makes 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons freshly ground black
pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar

They also had how they made the brisket at the restaurant, but I didn't care about that then. Now I wish I had payed more attention to it.
Here is a link to Central Florida Lifestyle Magazine. It has the rub recipe and cooking instructions. I like the fact it's heavily weighted with pepper, but I could see adding a teaspoon of celery seed, to the mix.... but that's just me.

Celery seed, I've never tried that. I know celery is a staple for making soups so I guess I'll have to get some and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

As far as I know there is no set rule what flavor of rub to use on anything it comes down to your indivisible taste. As said you can adjust a rub to suit your taste. Many rubs are not used in their original state.

Warren
You can say that again. I have to chuckle sometimes at the marketing angle and suggestive names of many rubs. It's really noticeable when you visit a large online BBQ site that might have 100+ rubs.

Celery seed, I've never tried that. I know celery is a staple for making soups so I guess I'll have to get some and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
Celery seed pairs well with beef, and it's a natural source of nitrate.... so this will help with smoke rings too. Smoky Hale's brisket rub is an early one that uses celery seed. When I make it I start with 1/2 c. of Kosher salt, add the other ingredients, then add a little more salt to taste. But here is the original version.

Mix thoroughly:
1 c. Morton Kosher
1/4 c. garlic powder
1/4 c. onion powder
1/8 c. ground thyme
1/8 c. ground bay
1/8 c. black pepper
1/8 c. celery seed
1/8 c. Hungarian paprika

I put Celery Seed and Dried Celery Flakes in my favorite all purpose rub...JJ

Cajun Rib Tickler

1/2C Tubinado or Dried Brown Sugar*
1/4C Paprika**
2T Kosher Salt
2T Garlic Powder
2T Onion Powder
2T Mustard Powder
2T Chili Powder
2tsp Black Pepper
1-2tsp Cayenne
2tsp Dry Oregano
2tsp Dry Thyme
2tsp Cry Celery Flakes
1tsp Celery Seed

Grind the Oregano, Thyme, Celery Flake and Seed. Mix all and store in air tight container, up to 3 months...

Notes...* Leave out the Sugar for a Cajun Blackening Spice. Spinkle a lot or a little, on whatever meat, dip in melted Butter or Olive oil and saute in a very hot pan until cooked to your desired IT.

** If you wish you can use Smoked Paprika in the recipe. This will give a seasoning that will add some "Smokey flavor" to Grilled, Sauteed, Fried or Roasted meat, not just stuff you smoke.

Mix and store in an air tight container...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky