Brisket Rub Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I'm gearing up to handle a 9 pound brisket Saturday morning.  Really trying to get a handle on briskets.  My last couple have been good but not great. 

I recently returned from a trip to KC where I found a BBQ store.  It was amazing, I could have spent hours in there.  Well I decide on a whim to buy a "texas" brisket rub.  Figured why not.  I tasted it, and honestly it has a bit of a kick to it right off the bat.  Once the heat goes away, the taste is pretty good.  I''m just a bit hesitant to use it.  I know many of you stick to a pepper and salt rub I was just curious as to whether anyone had experimented with other rubs for their brisket and how they turned out.  

I use the McCormick Montreal Steak rub on my briskets. Have also used their Cowboy rub (contains coffee). I try to keep it as simple as possible when doing a brisket. The fun is in trying different rubs and woods and one day finding that combination that you really like!! 

I go simple most times with brisket. i soak in Worcestershire sauce really good and nice light coating of black pepper. ( would go heavier but my wife likes it the way she likes it. once in a while i will use Montreal or Chicago steak seasoning. with a good oak or hickory smoke for 6-18 hours (depends on your temps) it will have good flavor. don't try to mask it.. let the beef speak for itself!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

I'm curious on the rub part of the overall process - how long (if at all) do you let it sit after the rub is applied before starting the smoke phase? Is it pretty much rub and go, or is there a reason to wait a while, and if so, how long?

Thanks!

I use kosher salt and table ground black pepper. I start my fire and while that is getting settled in.
I trim and rub my brisket and then throw it on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky