• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket once again w/ Qview

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
So my first couple flats were dry. Got a "USDA Choice" packer from Costco and it smokes today.  Odd the label said nothing about it being Angus.  Going to take it to 165 then foil it with onions and some beef broth for the finish.  Smoke is hickory and rubbed with mustard and Montrel steak seasoning 

SURPRISE!

Rubbed and sat over night.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 16, 2009
Did you leave thatthing whole or is that just the flat in the pic?

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
After looking at other posts, I'm thinking its an 8 pound flat.

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

It looks good right now but I think it needs a little smoking to be alot better.

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
Something like this?  Go figure, as soon as put it on 20 mph winds, smoker is moving to the garage.  Needs cleaned and organized anyway.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Better wind than snow!!

TJ

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
I'll take snow over wind anytime. Seems easier to control the temp. Need to dig up my pics from a couple of years ago Thanksgiving.  Smoked a turkey while it snowed a couple of feet.

Last edited:

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
165 we are! Wrapped and packed with onions and broth.  Lets go 190!

nwdave

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Now that looks good just as it is. Gotta give you some
for your determination.

ajjf

Joined Sep 4, 2010
That looks beautiful!  I can't wait to see pictures of you cutting into that baby!  I LOVE a good brisket, working up to it.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 13, 2010
I hope mine looks that good at 165!  Just put a 13 lb packer in the UDS about 1/2 hour ago.  Going to be a long fun night!  

Can't wait to see that flat sliced up!

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 4, 2010
Was so excited not to screw it up I forgot to take pics of the slicing!

Tasty, moist, and tender!

nwdave

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Well, I'm going to take back half a point for no sliced pictures. 
  Fortunately for you Dana sent me an email bragging about how good it tasted.  Well, I guess I won't be doing a brisket for the next family BBQ showdown.

A note of explanation to all the readers, Dana is my daughter, married to DnvrDave who seems to think the buckeyes rule, whatever the heck a buckeye is, some kinda weed isn't it?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Well, I'm going to take back half a point for no sliced pictures. 
  Fortunately for you Dana sent me an email bragging about how good it tasted.  Well, I guess I won't be doing a brisket for the next family BBQ showdown.

A note of explanation to all the readers, Dana is my daughter, married to DnvrDave who seems to think the buckeyes rule, whatever the heck a buckeye is, some kinda weed isn't it?
Your son-in-law did a great job on that Brisket, Dave !

I always thought a Buckeye was kinda like a horse chestnut, but if you do a search, it gives you a whole bunch of things, including a foul smelling tree.

I know they always have a Great Football team!

It appears this year is no different!

Here ya go:

Buckeye  may refer to:
  • Several tree species of the genus Aesculus
  • Buckeye (chicken), a breed of chicken originating in Ohio
  • Butterflies in the genus Junonia
  • Buckeye, a named passenger train  operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad between Cleveland, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • Buckeye (butterfly), a butterfly found in the United States and Canada
  • Buckeye candy  (a.k.a. Buckeyes), a peanut butter and chocolate candy made to resemble the nut of a buckeye tree

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Nice looking brisket...

Buckeyes are Nuts that some old timers used to carry in their pockets thinking they had some magic relief for rheumatism...

benxrow2002

Joined Jan 22, 2010
First of all, good looking brisket which was my original intent for viewing this thread....But since it came up and I am an Ohio native,  a buckeye is a tree that produces a nut that looks like an oversized acorn.  It is poisonous to eat and will kill other trees in its area.  It is the state tree of Ohio and the mascot of Ohio State.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I was close:

Buckeye:

Horse Chestnut:

Maybe they're the same thing, but in PA, we call them Horse Chestnuts?

Nope, can't be--We roast & eat ours.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.