Brisket on the 26 " Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Finally got the chance to throw a brisket on the 26 . I only use it for smoking . Grilling gets done on the 22 . Gordon's Food service has briskets for $2.98 lb. I've been buying them to grind . Grabbed one a couple weeks ago . The sell by date was the 7th . That was Sunday , so decided to save it for a weekend smoke . Held it in the fridge in the original vac sealed bag for 10 days .
Trimmed up .
20210306_095857.jpg 20210306_095923.jpg
Used some Tony C's roasted Garlic . Pumped , then back in the fridge over night .
20210306_100707.jpg 20210306_101755.jpg
I clean the 26 the day after I use it . Keeps it in good shape , and it's always ready to go .
20210306_111529.jpg

Set the kettle up with the snake and wood chunks . Foiled pan in the middle under the cooking grate .
20210306_113206.jpg 20210306_113305.jpg

I use the chimney to light the charcoal . So I get it ready to go , and lay it in the 22 . Lid up both kettles for the night .
So when I get up Sunday everything is ready to go . Warm the meat a bit , light the chimney .

I use some charcoal to light the snake , but also had a separate pile to make up for adding a cold mass of meat .
Had the kettle settled in around 350 . Put the brisket on . Temp went down to around 260 , then settled in at 230 ish . I just let it run . I know going in I'm going to finish in the oven . Went on at 7 pulled off the kettle at 2:00 . Internal was 180 . Point end was like butter . Flat really close too . Into the oven set to 260 . No wrap . I just put it on the tray .
Reached 205 at 4:00 . Probe was perfect . Took it out wrapped it up and let it sit on the counter for 2 hours .
20210307_155912.jpg

20210307_160138.jpg 20210307_160207.jpg
It came out really good . First time I had the flat so tender all the way thru .
20210307_174229.jpg 20210307_174233.jpg
The phosphate injection helps for sure , but the oven finish and counter rest is key I think .
The kettle puts a nice amount of smoke out . I only had apple chunks , but added some mesquite chips .
I was out of the Cattle dog rub , so I used one from Spice house I got as a gift . It was mostly course salt and pepper
but had some added sage and coriander . It was good .

Cleaned up and ready for next time .
Thanks for lookin .
20210307_163956.jpg

Man that brisket looks fabulous Chop!!! Excellent job on that. Man now I want a brisket sammy, but we're still a few weeks away from me breaking out the kettles.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Man that brisket looks fabulous Chop!!! Excellent job on that. Man now I want a brisket sammy, but we're still a few weeks away from me breaking out the kettles.
Thanks Chris . I'm so glad you bought that 26 and posted it awhile back . The heavier gauge body makes it a great smoker option .
I ate brisket for supper Sunday . Then again for breakfast and lunch on Monday .
Gonna be almost 80 today . Think I'll fire up some thighs on the 22 .

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks like you nailed it! Looks great! I smoked my first turkey yesterday and was wishing I had a 26" kettle...maybe someday!

Ryan

Freaking Fantastic!!!
Nice Job, Rich!!
Watch You don't get run over in the "Grill Parade" !!
Like.
Wish I was there to help consume some of that Beef!!!

Bear

NICE JOB! I did not know TC had a roasted garlic! HUGE fans of garlic with beef. Thanks for the info!

How much fat you trimming when grinding? I think I might not trim at all.

Looks like you nailed it! Looks great! I smoked my first turkey yesterday and was wishing I had a 26" kettle...maybe someday!
Thanks Ryan . I've smoked a lot of turkey on a 22 . Never used a therm back then . Just followed the weber book . Just under $400.00 for the 26 with a cover .
Very nice, Sir!
I may try that oven finish with the next one. I'd love to have a 26", but I'm out of patio space :-(
Dan , that oven finish is my go to anymore . Thanks for the comment sir .

Looks great! I wouldnt turn down a sammich. Still havent attempted a long smoke on my 22in Kettle yet. But have turned out some stellar stuff on it.
Jim

Wish I had a Gordons by me, every place I see them here they are $6 plus
Nice job Rich
Richie

I smoked my first turkey yesterday and was wishing I had a 26" kettle...maybe someday!
Smoked turkey is probably my fave and have done many over the years. I think Rich might agree with me on this, there are basically 2 styles of smoked turkey, hot and warm smoked. Hot is brined or injected and smoked hot n fast. A Weber would be perfect for this. The other style is cured but warm smoked (<200F) a long time and results are kinda similar to ham. I love both but the cured style is EXACTLY what I always wanted to achieve. Bucket list for me. However, I am not sure you could do this in a Weber but MES would be ideal. Hope this helps. Sorry OT.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks delicous!
Thanks Jim !
Great looking brisket chop! You hit that one on the money man.
Lol . Love the Ric Flair . 2nd one in a row that I finished in the oven , then skipped the cooler and just went on the counter to rest . Ready in time and the perfect temp . If I get it on the next one , I'm gonna say I got a method down . Thanks for the comments bud .

That's one nice looking brisket bud!
Thanks Jake . I had a cheap offset years ago . Nothing like that wood fired flavor , but the kettle gets pretty close .

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky