Brisket...not so good.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparks65

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
I smoked an 11 lb. brisket Sun.   Rubbed with SPOG.  On the smoker @ 7:00AM. It reached 160° just before noon, and I foiled it with a C of beef broth.  Mistake #1.  I wrapped way to soon & too much broth.  The bark never developed nor did a decent smoke ring.

Now for the weird part.  It never did stall.  By 2:30 it was 201°.  i probed it in 3 spots with a thermapen and got the same temp and the probe slid in with no resistance.  I re wrapped and put it in a cooler for about 3 hr.  It came out at 6:00 @ 165°.

Mistake #2.  i didn't separate the point from the flat.  When I sliced the point across the grain, I sliced the flat with the grain.  Made for kind of a chewy slice.  The family seemed to like so I shouldn't bitch to much.

Mistake #3.  Had left overs last night so I sliced some of the flat (across the grain), put it a pan with a bit of broth, foiled and popped it in the oven for 35 min.  It was so tender I cut it with a fork...but pretty much cooked all the beef flavour out of it.

Better luck next time.

Plated with re-stuffed spuds, kale slaw, and pit beans

Reactions: mike5051
It looks fine to me.  You don't have to wrap the brisket, but if you choose to do so, wait for the stall, that usually will get you some bark development.  However, when you wrap it, the bark will soften up quite a bit.

A brisket has plenty of moisture already in it, no need to add additional when wrapping, most of the time...  If it's just a flat, and not well marbled, a little broth or mop can help.

As for the family liking it, I always call that a success!

Briskets take time to learn, and just when you think you have them figured out, they'll throw you a curve.  Keep on practicing.

Dude if that is how your mistakes look then i cant wait to see the Qview when you get it right. that looks Daaamn good!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

It's a fine looking brisket from here...
Something you might try...when I re-heat my brisket I do it on the stove top with a veggie steamer and beef broth till the slices are just warmed through...
Steaming it with the broth seems to keep it moist and flavorful.
In fact it's the only way I've found to consistently re heat brisket and pulled pork and not over cook or dry it out.
It's similar to the way good deli's heat pastrami for sammies.

Walt

I think wrapping it at 160° just powered you straight through the stall...
The stall is from moisture escaping when all the fat starts breaking down and cools the meat by evaporation...much like the body cools itself by sweating.
When you wrap early you hold all that in...just my 2¢...
Walt

The Family liked it... That right there makes it a success regardless of your personal opinion. Thumbs Up
Looks OK to me from here, I'd make a sammich with it.

It looks better than some I've seen in so-called BBQ restaurants.
Learn from your mistakes, none of which in this case were critical failures.
Practice makes perfect, but nobody is perfect yet, cause like Bear said "... just when you think you have them figured out, they'll throw you a curve."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky