Brisket, it's what's for dinner (w/ pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

samuelrobles

Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Cameron, North Carolina
Smoking an 11lb brisket for dinner. I started prepping yesterday.

Trimmed off about 2lbs of fat. Put a simple rub on; Salt, Pepper, Paprika, garlic powder, and some killer hogs rub. Let it sit a few hours in the refrigerator to let the rubs settle in.

Setting up my 18 1/2 inch Weber smoking mountain. I am using lump charcoal. I like the way it burns on long smokes.

Around 11:30 pm, I put it on the smoker.

At 165 internal temp, this what she looked like. So juicy already.

First time wrapping in pink butcher paper. Looking forward to how it comes out. Heard nothing but good things.

I put it on Fat side up this time.

All buttoned up.

I am going to try my hand at burned ends with the point. Never done them before.

I will keep this updated.

Last edited:
Question on making burned ends. Do you let the brisket rest for 2 hours, then cut off the point to make burned ends. Or do you cut off the point immediately to make them?

I usually cut it off when it gets around 190 or so, then put the flat back on the smoker, usually in foil with a little broth.

Then make your burnt ends & put them on the smoker. They should take about the same time to finish up as the flat.

Al

Looking nice,burnt ends are like crack be careful not eating too many.

2 hours of rest

So juicy!

Separated the point from the flat. It came apart like butter.

The point.

Making my burnt ends for the first time.

Back on the smoker

What did you think of the butcher paper? Better than foil? I haven't tried it but want to sometime. I've always had bark get almost mushy with foil and have to throw meat back on smoker to firm up

That all looks tasty! We save the burnt ends for another night they are great with mashed taters with butter and sometimes cheese.

The butcher paper is a lot better then foil in my opinion. The bark is still a lil mushy but not nearly as bad as foil. Going to do a couple more cooks with it.

Samuelrobles what sauce did you use to put into your burnt ends before you put them back into the smoker?

Man that looks amazing!  Starting to get the itch for brisket again, just gotta find the time.

Looking nice,burnt ends are like crack be careful not eating too many.
Looks delicious!!! Luv them burnt ends!!

Points! 
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky