Brisket in the snow with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparky30_06

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Well figured I'd finally post some pictures of my soon to be smokey goodness. Got a nice 14 lbs. untrimmed full brisket from the local butcher.  Mixed up my brisket rub,

a4dac49b_2011-02-05_10-13-43_815.jpg

rubbed her down,

4ec208bc_2011-02-05_10-26-14_403.jpg
c3b7807b_2011-02-05_10-26-25_178.jpg

stuff her into the vacumm bag (this brisket didn't fit well need to get bigger bags!!) 

93a0d756_2011-02-05_10-38-19_161.jpg

letting her sit in the fridge till tonight to start the smoke.  I usually let them sit rubbed for 24 hours but running short on time so 6 hours will have to do.  Now the plan for smoking, trying something new.  Going to start it around 5 or 6 pm tonight and let it go outside in the smoker till midnight.  Then pull it inside and place it in the oven and goto bed.  So we will see how it turns out.  My question is would you wrap it up in foil in the oven or in a foil pan covered??  or place it on a roasting rack with water under it??  or something else?? 

A foil pan tightly covered works the best. Also if you put a drip pan under the brisket in the smoker with some beef broth & onions. I like a few cloves of garlic too. Then use that in the foil pan in the oven. You won't need it all because the brisket will continue to make juice all night, but it adds a nice flavor & makes a great au jus.

icon_cool.gif

Now I would do exactly like Al has told. It sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks guys I'll try it.  Brisket has been on for an hour and half now.  Outside temp is 20 smoke temp is 225 and holding great!!! 

Update:  sometime between 11pm and midnight temps spiked in smoker, don't know why may have been from chips getting to much air and adding heat, but it got to 300 in the box.  Pulled the brisket at midnight and was at 155.  placed in a foil pan with a little water covered it tightly and put it in the oven at 225 and went to bed.  At 3am my temp prob warming beeper when off.  Brisket was a 180 ALREADY!!!  10 hours only for a 13 pounder.  little faster than I wanted but it is what it is.  I reset the oven to 170, lowest setting and went back to bed.  Current brisket temp is 192 and I found out the over has a "warming tray"  moved the brisket to the warming tray and letting it sit till this afternoon.  I'll post pictures when we pull it out. fingers are cross that it's not tuff and over cooked. 

It should be fine I usually take my briskets to 205 and they are very tender & juicy. Good luck.

Update:  sometime between 11pm and midnight temps spiked in smoker, don't know why may have been from chips getting to much air and adding heat, but it got to 300 in the box.  Pulled the brisket at midnight and was at 155.  placed in a foil pan with a little water covered it tightly and put it in the oven at 225 and went to bed.  At 3am my temp prob warming beeper when off.  Brisket was a 180 ALREADY!!!  10 hours only for a 13 pounder.  little faster than I wanted but it is what it is.  I reset the oven to 170, lowest setting and went back to bed.  Current brisket temp is 192 and I found out the over has a "warming tray"  moved the brisket to the warming tray and letting it sit till this afternoon.  I'll post pictures when we pull it out. fingers are cross that it's not tuff and over cooked. 

Wow what a day.  After 8 hours of making ravioli I finally got to open up my smokey goodness gift wrapped package.  The brisket was in a fold pan tighly covered and in the waming drawer all day.  the drawer was at 125 and the brisket held around 190 till about 3pm and the temp started to come down.  When I pulled it out at 4:30 it was at 170.

All I have to say is HOLLY JUICE!!!!!

a4ce229f_2011-02-06_16-36-22_471.jpg

Wow looks better on the cutting board.

4eeb7b92_2011-02-06_16-42-29_917.jpg
d4149394_2011-02-06_16-49-34_249.jpg

Was so moist and glad I have supper sharp knifes cause it was falling apart.  You could cut it with a fork.

55d065f1_2011-02-06_18-00-11_318.jpg

Half of the brisket was gone and most of the 5 different types of homemade ravioli and ALOT of happy people!!!

The Brisket didn't have as much smoke flavor as I'm use to but was still very good. 

THANKS everyone for your advise!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky