BRISKET/HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE MIX MEATLOAF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well on Monday the weather was lousy and I decided to make a meatloaf. Since I won't drive my Mustang in the rain or when the streets are wet. I thought I would make one with whatever I could find here in the house. So this is the recipe that I came up with. I just took a photo of it so I wouldn't have to type it all down. I didn't have a cup of breadcrumbs, so I used about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs & 1/2 cup crushed up saltine crackers. I had 1 lb. packs of brisket, and hot Italian sausage in the freezer.

1.JPG

I took the photo before I mixed anything up & thought 2 eggs would be enough, but when I started mixing I could see that I needed another egg, so there should be 3 eggs in this photo.

2.jpg

All ready to mix up.

3.jpg

Easiest way is by hand, at least that is the way I do it.

4.jpg

Nice looking loaf!

5.jpg

I wanted to let it sit in the fridge until Tuesday, so I wrapped it up like a fattie.

6.jpg

So after about 24 hours in the fridge, all those flavors just got acquainted real well. And I formed it back into a smaller & thicker loaf. I put it in a pan covered in foil.

7.jpg

Then into the smoker along with a pan of beans.

8.jpg

I had a few pieces of bacon left over from the beans, so we cooked them up on the firebox, for a little snack.

9.jpg

10.jpg

At around 130 IT I covered the top of the meatloaf with ketchup.

11.jpg

Almost ready to pull out.

12.jpg

I was running the smoker around 280-300 degrees, so it only took a couple of hours to hit 160. I pulled it out & let the beans go a few more minutes while the meatloaf rested.

13.jpg

Beans are about done now too.

14.jpg

Ready for dinner!

15.jpg

And on a plate with meatloaf, beans, and broccoli, onion, noodle stir fry.

16.jpg

It was absolutely the best meatloaf I have ever made. The combo of the brisket & hot Italian sausage really gave it a great flavor.
Judy said I hope you wrote down what you did here, Cause I want this again.

This is what we both had for breakfast this morning.

17.jpg

Last weekend I had a major disaster with a rack of ribs. I injected them with Tony C's & gave them too much. Couldn't eat them, way too salty, gave the whole rack to the fish & turtles in my backyard. Needless to say I was really bummed out & feel kinda like I got my groove back with this meatloaf. And the cool thing was I used what I had here in the house. So this is a pretty basic recipe that could be tweaked to suit your own taste.
Thanks for looking folks!
Al

Just wow! I may have to try this on Saturday as I haven't chosen what to grill/smoke yet. I basically grill or smoke every single weekend no matter what the weather condition is. Neighbors must think something is wrong with me because even during a blizzard you can still catch me outside grilling or smoking lol.

Thanks for posting this and the recipe!

Wow just wow! That is one great looking meatloaf!!!

Those beans have really got my eye too! Any specific recipe?

That broccoli stir fry looks like something I make that I call broccoli linguini. I top with soy sauce and grate Parmesan cheese, sounds weird but it works.

Likes all around!

I always try to use a mixture in meatloafs. The last one was ground turkey, beef, and breakfast sausage(home made of course).

That looks real good Al! Awesome use of what you had in the house already. The meatloaf sounds like it would have great flavor and I like the amount of diced peppers and onions. I usually have to mince mine pretty fine . still get the flavor from them and the kids dont notice them lol.

Al it looks great! Glad to see you using the old 36 Patio. I just used mine last weekend, that thing cooks like a champ!

That looks great al! You know it's good when you can turn around and have it for breakfast the next morning. I bet your next rack of ribs will turn out amazing for you, only way we do ribs is what I learned from you. I'm not sure I'm allowed to change anything, they turn out perfect every time.

Ryan

Meatloaf looks great Al! That sucks about your ribs last week. I think we have all been there at least once on a cook. Glad the loaf and all your sides turned out well! Great looking meal.

Looks great , nice write up . Saltines in place of bread crumbs is what I'm used to . Mom used them in and on alot of things .

Yeah , when you think about it enough at night , that you have it for breakfast you know it's good .

Reactions: 73saint
It all looks great Al. That is still my kind of breakfast after working swing shift for several years.

Just wow! I may have to try this on Saturday as I haven't chosen what to grill/smoke yet. I basically grill or smoke every single weekend no matter what the weather condition is. Neighbors must think something is wrong with me because even during a blizzard you can still catch me outside grilling or smoking lol.

Thanks for posting this and the recipe!

Thank you!!
You guys that live up north & grill & smoke all year round are just awesome.
I don't even go outside when it gets below 50!
Al

It looks fantastic Al.

Thank you so much!!
Al

Wow just wow! That is one great looking meatloaf!!!

Those beans have really got my eye too! Any specific recipe?

That broccoli stir fry looks like something I make that I call broccoli linguini. I top with soy sauce and grate Parmesan cheese, sounds weird but it works.

Likes all around!

Thank you. We do a lot of stir fry dishes & this was just like the meatloaf, we used what we had in the house.
Here is a copy of my bean recipe. It's very basic, but everybody loves it.
Al’s smoked beans

28 ounces Bush’s Original baked beans + a little water

1 onion coarsely chopped

2 Fresh jalapenos chopped with seeds & veins removed

1/4 cup raw sugar

1/8 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 lb. bacon or about 5 or 6 slices on top.
I don't put the bacon on top if I am smoking them under a rack of ribs.
The rib drippings add enough flavor so you don't need the bacon, but you can still use it if you want. Depending on the smoker temp they can take 4 hours at 225 or 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 280-300.
Al

I always try to use a mixture in meatloafs. The last one was ground turkey, beef, and breakfast sausage(home made of course).

That is so cool, I never tried this before, always just ground chuck (boring!).
This will be my new go to meatloaf!!
Al

That looks real good Al! Awesome use of what you had in the house already. The meatloaf sounds like it would have great flavor and I like the amount of diced peppers and onions. I usually have to mince mine pretty fine . still get the flavor from them and the kids dont notice them lol.

Thank you!
Yea since it's just Judy & me we like big chunks of onion & pepper, and honestly I don't change that when we have guests, unless someone is allergic to onions. Then I won't make the beans, because without the onions they are just not right!
Al

Al it looks great! Glad to see you using the old 36 Patio. I just used mine last weekend, that thing cooks like a champ!

Yea thanks Man!
I have been lazy lately & just using the Smoke Vault, but you just don't get the same flavor as you do with the Lang.
I told Judy I was going to make the meatloaf in the Smoke
Vault & she convinced me to get the Lang out & I'm darn sure glad I did!
May do another one of these next weekend & invite the neighbors over!
Al
That looks great al! You know it's good when you can turn around and have it for breakfast the next morning. I bet your next rack of ribs will turn out amazing for you, only way we do ribs is what I learned from you. I'm not sure I'm allowed to change anything, they turn out perfect every time.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!
Yea that is the first rack of ribs that I have ever made that were just so bad. But I learned my lesson, just stick to what works & everything will turn out good. But I get bored & want to try & push the envelope. The ribs aren't the first thing that I have just thrown away. It has happened before with other experiments!
Al

Meatloaf looks great Al! That sucks about your ribs last week. I think we have all been there at least once on a cook. Glad the loaf and all your sides turned out well! Great looking meal.

Thanks Buddy!
I needed to cook something really good to get my head back in the game & the meatloaf did it!!
Al

Looks great , nice write up . Saltines in place of bread crumbs is what I'm used to . Mom used them in and on alot of things .

Yeah , when you think about it enough at night , that you have it for breakfast you know it's good .

Thank you so much!
I never heard of using saltines in place of bread crumbs before, so I was just winging it. Actually I think the next meatloaf I smoke I will use all saltines, they seem to really hold in all the moisture. This was the most tender & juicy meatloaf I have ever had. And Judy said the same thing. We had it for breakfast & I'm already getting hungry for lunch which will be the same as breakfast. And if there is enough left I'm having it for dinner too!!
That was my last pack of ground brisket, so I guess I'll have to pick up a packer on the next trip to the store. I'll probably grind about half of it & either turn the other half into pastrami or just smoke it as a brisket!
Al

Al That looks good!! I just finished stuffing 10# semi hot Italian.
Richie
Going back to do Fresh Kielbasi now.

Dang good looking meal, Al I sure could stand a plate right now

Gary

I never heard of using saltines in place of bread crumbs before, so I was just winging it.
Al , it was all about the cheapest way to feed four kids . Extender in the meat loaf , and on the outside of bone in chops .

Beautiful piece of work Al! I always use some of my Italian sausage when I make a meatloaf, tho only one egg and a cup of milk. The beans look killer too! Like, RAY

Wow!!!
That looks & sounds so freaking Good, Al !!
You & Judy know how to make & eat Awesome Stuff!!
But what about the Turtles---I heard when you started your smoker, they all got in line!!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky