Brisket help, please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldpro1946

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
I have trouble getting the flat juicy and not dried out.  I think I may cook it too long, to about 200 degrees.  For a 5-6 pd flat to what temp would you cook it to and for, about, how long so the brisket remains juicy and not dry?  I'm a little hesitant to try a whole packer because  of how long it takes.  I don't know how the people that do that, do that!  Do you have any tips for me, thanks.

Could be it needs to go longer actually.  An undercooked flat will taste tough and dry.   

Brisket flats get their juiciness from melted connective tissue.  Personally, I always wrap flats like I do chuck roasts.  I'm not concerned with bark on a flat so I'll smoke it until it stalls then wrap it in HD aluminum foil with a little liquid, usually only about a half cup.  Beef broth works fine. 200F internal temp usually works fine, sometimes a little less, often more. The internal temp on a flat is more an indicator when to start probing for tenderness.  Probe right through the foil.  You an use a toothpick, ice pick, the probe of a meat thermometer, even a two pronged carving fork.  When the probe easily slides in like pushing it into warm butter, it is done.  Don't be surprised if it goes as high as 207-210F Internal temp. 

If you don't want to wrap the meat you can use the same tenderness and internal guidelines with the probes.   

Reactions: kenafein

Could be it needs to go longer actually.  An undercooked flat will taste tough and dry.   

Brisket flats get their juiciness from melted connective tissue.  Personally, I always wrap flats like I do chuck roasts.  I'm not concerned with bark on a flat so I'll smoke it until it stalls then wrap it in HD aluminum foil with a little liquid, usually only about a half cup.  Beef broth works fine. 200F internal temp usually works fine, sometimes a little less, often more. The internal temp on a flat is more an indicator when to start probing for tenderness.  Probe right through the foil.  You an use a toothpick, ice pick, the probe of a meat thermometer, even a two pronged carving fork.  When the probe easily slides in like pushing it into warm butter, it is done.  Don't be surprised if it goes as high as 207-210F Internal temp. 

If you don't want to wrap the meat you can use the same tenderness and internal guidelines with the probes.   
I smoke it until it passes the probe test (I think).  Then when I slice it it is tender but dry, if that makes any sense.  No juice run out, almost falls apart BUT not juicy.  I hope this makes sense.

I have trouble getting the flat juicy and not dried out.  I think I may cook it too long, to about 200 degrees.  For a 5-6 pd flat to what temp would you cook it to and for, about, how long so the brisket remains juicy and not dry?  I'm a little hesitant to try a whole packer because  of how long it takes.  I don't know how the people that do that, do that!  Do you have any tips for me, thanks.
I smoke almost exclusively flats and I haven't had any problems with dryness. The key to brisket is trimming the hard fat cap that won't render down and leaving the soft fat. It's that soft flat which will both flavor the meat and keep it tender. A brisket will typically reach the stall point at 160° internal temp and that's where many people foil it to increase the temp of the meat until it moves past the stall point. I think 200° I/T is just right for brisket. I'd say an 8-9 lb. brisket could take 12 hours (or more) to cook because of that stall. I'd cook it at a temp anywhere from 235-250°, but just about every cook has their favorite set point.

From what I've been taught, if you buy a whole packer you want to separate the point from the flat since they're almost two separate cuts of meat. The grain on the point runs differently from the flat and they both cook at different rates. I've got a brisket with the point and flat in my freezer which soon will be the first point I've smoked. If you read up on burnt ends, they're made from the point.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky