Brisket for Two: First Brisket Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hurriken

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Chicagoland
I have been smoking for several years, but have never tried a brisket. I have been wanting to for years so yesterday I bought an 11.5lb Prime packer. This site has enough information for me to figure out how to smoke a brisket on my WSM. I'm not to worried about that.

My problem is that the thing is humongous! All the articles and videos I see everyone is smoking the whole thing at once. I don't really want to do that because I'd have to freeze a lot of it. My experience with freezing my smokes is that it loses something in there. Can I cut this thing up in half or thirds and freeze it so that I can make a few meals out of it?

Last edited:
You can cut it if you want. Maybe separate the point from the flat. I find brisket freezes pretty well tho

Reactions: hurriken
I would separate the point from flat and then cut the flat in two and leave point intact. Usually I save my points for later smokes and I’ll smoke one 1/2 of the flat and start a dry cure with the other 1/2 for pastrami or corned beef a week later.

^^^^^^Yeah, that.^^^^^. But I would Smoke the Point and make Corned Beef and Pastrami from the Flats. The Point is more forgiving and always juicier as Texas Smoked Brisket...JJ

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
JJ do you think it’s best to save the points for smoking or corned beef/pastrami?? I usual smoke them but have been on a CB kick since St Patty’s day and don’t think I can get a proper dry cure with the shape of the point being uneven, it won’t cure well like a flat does. I guess I could brine (although I greatly prefer curing) but your opinion would be greatly appreciated!

I actually find that brisket smoked and then frozen with a vacuum sealer does really well. I sometimes like how the flavors seem to meld a little better.

Sometimes I slice before freezing and freeze in individual sized portions (4-6oz), other times I just leave it unsliced and warm it whole in a simmering pot of water.

In addition, I also think that smoking a whole packer just performs better than smoking a flat by itself. Some guys on here have success just smoking the flat, but I just don't prefer it.

The Rookie took the leap! The point is a good size for us. I'm debating if I should cut the flat in half or not. Constructive criticism and opinions are appreciated.
The Point.

The Flat.

Looks good. Truth be told I would buy all flats if I could. The ones I have done the point has just been a mess of fat and I end up scrapping most of it or getting very little meat. So much waste from my experience off all of 5 briskets :)

Just the opposite. I buy nothing but Points. A good deal of the fat renders and the rest is tender, never fail super juicy meat, with enough residual fat to give tons of Beefy flavor.
It all depends on your taste and likely, what you grew up on. Dad as most if the Old European guys Loved Fatty Meat. The cold climate of Poland and surrounding countries required you eat fat for energy to keep warm. My wife's family, Polish/Irish ate the same way. Lots of folks prefer little to no fat on their meat. A result of the 70's push toward a so called healthier diet. Members of my Family live into their late 80's or beyond. Grandpa ate a half pound of Bacon, Ham or Kielbasa every morning for breakfast and lived to 93...JJ

Reactions: JJS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky