BRISKET FLAT, MY WAY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
It's no secret that a lot of folks have a problem smoking a small well trimmed brisket flat. I to had my struggles for a while, but a couple of years ago I found this method and have been using it ever since. So I would like to share my method with all of you. If you already are successful smoking flats, then this is not aimed at you. If you are having problems getting them to come out tender & juicy, then I hope this will be of some help. So here we go!

I started out with a Choice full packer weighing 14+ pounds.
1.JPG

2.JPG

I trimmed it up & separated the point & flat, then cut the flat in half.

3.JPG

I really took off a lot of fat.

4.JPG

Then I took the thick piece of flat & the point & put them in a curing brine. The flat will be corned beef & the point will be pastrami.

5.JPG

Now all I have left is the thin part of the flat & as you can see it is very well trimmed. So this is about as difficult as I can make it.

6.JPG

Next step is to take 2 cans of French onion soup & strain out the onions.

7.JPG

Then inject the brisket with the liquid.

8.JPG

Then put it in the aluminum pan with the rest of the liquid & spread the onions on the top of the brisket. This will do 2 things. It will protect the meat from the heat & give the brisket some flavor.

9.JPG

It's going into the Lang today. I use a water pan next to the firebox to even out the side to side temps.

10.JPG

I don't need to start a big fire, cause it is so hot outside. So a couple of small splits & a big handful of charcoal will do the trick.

11.JPG

12.JPG

Then after it gets going I add a couple of more small splits & she's ready to go.

13.JPG

Into the smoker goes the brisket.

14.JPG

At about the 1 hour mark & then every 45 minutes to an hour after, I baste the brisket with the pan juices. The Lang recovers right away after opening up the door, but even if your smoker doesn't do that, this step is still very important. This helps to keep the brisket nice & moist.

15.JPG

16.JPG

The smoker is running around 250 degrees for most of the time.

17.JPG

18.JPG

Well it took about 5 hours to get to 205, I started testing it with a toothpick around 195 & it just wasn't done. I had to let it go to 205 before it passed the toothpick test.

19.JPG

20.JPG

I let it rest for about 30 minutes on the counter, then sliced it up.

21.JPG

As you can see it is quite tender & juicy.

22.JPG

23.JPG

I don't know why, but I felt like putting mayonnaise on my sandwich last night, with a pickle on fine china. Today it will be BBQ sauce.

24.JPG

That is it folks!
Thanks for looking & I hope this will help someone who is struggling with getting a flat to come out tender, juicy, & delicious!
Al

Great tutorial Al, I'm sure with all the small brisket questions on here lately - everyone will be greatfull for this step-by-step.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you Al.. that’s the first time I’ve heard of using onion soup.. when you put the brisket in the aluminum pan, is it resting in the pan or is there a rack in the pan?

Reactions: denny
I’ve seen several times on here when you have mentioned doing this. I’ve got a couple small flats in the freezer plan to use your method on. Looks great points for sure!

Great tutorial Al. I like that idea as I have a couple I want to do corned beef, pastrami and montreal smoked woth. Just looking through recipe's and will line it up with my time of. Thx, for the post.

Great tutorial Al, I'm sure with all the small brisket questions on here lately - everyone will be greatfull for this step-by-step.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks Chris!
That's exactly why I put this thread on here.
It seems like there were a bunch of guys trying to smoke small flats.
Hopefully this will help them.
Al

I’ve seen several times on here when you have mentioned doing this. I’ve got a couple small flats in the freezer plan to use your method on. Looks great points for sure!

Thank you!
I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Al

Ditto... Very nice tutorial Al.

Thanks John!
I appreciate it!
Al

Great tutorial Al. I like that idea as I have a couple I want to do corned beef, pastrami and montreal smoked woth. Just looking through recipe's and will line it up with my time of. Thx, for the post.

Thank you & good luck with yours!
Al

Lovely idea for a store bought piece trimmed without much fat.
Turned out good!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thanks Johnny!
Yes it seems that when you get them from the butcher they are trimmed right down to the meat.
Which is the way I trimmed this one, so I could show it's possible to still get a juicy piece of meat.
Al

Reactions: denny
Thank you Al.. that’s the first time I’ve heard of using onion soup.. when you put the brisket in the aluminum pan, is it resting in the pan or is there a rack in the pan?

It's resting in the pan, no rack, it's sitting right in the onion soup.
Al

Thanks Al. I see these small cut flats at Publix often. This will be perfect for when it’s just Bunny and I and we’re wanting brisket.

This is a very helpful post , Thank you for doing this. I'll be trying something like this next weekend. Thank you for thinking of us.

Last edited:
Brisket looks wonderful ! I am planning on injecting my next one hoping to get a little more seasoned flavor inside the brisket.

Thanks for doing this Al! Good to see that you can still have a moist brisket with so little fat not much margin for error.

Mike

Thanks Al. I see these small cut flats at Publix often. This will be perfect for when it’s just Bunny and I and we’re wanting brisket.

I agree, it's just Judy & me, and even this small one will last a few days.
Al

View attachment 370128 Hey Al , here is the finished product.. Not bad for my first timeView attachment 370127

Not bad at all!
Nice work!!
Al

This is a very helpful post , Thank you for doing this. I'll be trying something like this next weekend. Thank you for thinking of us.

Thank you & good luck with your brisket!
Al

Al, you're tempting me to put flats back on my shopping list!

Yea they are a different animal, but very doable!
Al

Brisket looks wonderful ! I am planning on injecting my next one hoping to get a little more seasoned flavor inside the brisket.

Thanks Bill, and yes injecting does get the flavor deep in the meat.
I try to pump it as full as it will take.
Al

Looks great Al and a great step by step that is easy to follow.
Thanks for taking the time to do the work.

Weedeater

Your very welcome & I hope you give this a try!
Al

Thanks for doing this Al! Good to see that you can still have a moist brisket with so little fat not much margin for error.

Mike

Thanks Mike & yes I think a well trimmed flat is probably the holy grail of smoking meat.
Just takes the right technique.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky