Brisket Flat and Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
I guess in the smoking world one must learn to roll with the changes. It started off a little overcast here with the occasional light drizzle. So I decided to fire up the WSM and start a butt and a flat that I had defrosted. Then about an hour or so into the smoke it started raining cats and dogs. Nobody was around to help me get the eazy-up(ya that name is an oxymoron) up so I had to get the smoker into the garage, and quickly. First I separeted the body and lid from the base and placed it on the ground. Not wanting to lose my charcoal I grabbed my wifes oven mitts and brought the base into the garage. Then went out for the body and lid. Few, all's well except my temps rose a little. Once stable I had TBS rolling again. Except now everything in my garage smells like a smoke-house and we have someone coming over today to buy our pool.

Sorry no before pictures as I wasn't originally planning on posting this smoke:

Brisket Flat fresh off the smoker in it's pan: It was about 7 pounds pre-trimmed.
DSC00939.JPG

The Butt was about 9.5 pounds.

DSC00940.JPG

Bone out:

DSC00942.JPG

...and pulled:
DSC00943.JPG

Brisket sliced:

DSC00945.JPG

All in all this came out real good. The pork is excellent. The brisket I think was a couple of degrees over cooked. It was juicy and tender but fell apart rather easily. I definetly need a better knife to cut thru the bark.

Smoked at 260* for about 10+ hours. Both meats were started on the top grate. Then when I wrapped them up the flat went on the bottom grate and the butt on the top grate. Wood was three good chunks of hickory and one large apple chunk.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00941.JPG
    DSC00941.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 19
Yep, looks great! Worth the chaos!

Good luck with the garage. Maybe hanging a bunch of sacks a few cups each of cat litter in pantyhose will absorb some of the smell, or damp rid works pretty good.

Reactions: JC in GB
Yep, looks great! Worth the chaos!

Good luck with the garage. Maybe hanging a bunch of sacks a few cups each of cat litter in pantyhose will absorb some of the smell, or damp rid works pretty good.

Well worth the chaos, Not a real cat fan here. So I'd have to buy it, but a great idea. I have both my garage doors open as well as the windows. Hopefully the wind will do it magic. Thank you Kris.

Bit of a PIA there Chris. But it sure looks like a real sucessful smoke to me.
I wouldn't worry about the smoke smell in the garage. Just tell the buyer that nothing improves a day lounging by the pool like some smoked goodies.
POINT
Gary

Thanks Gary, If the wind doesn't get rid of the smell then I'll definitely try using it to my advantage.

Chris

Looks good! Very nice clean bone-pull :) The weather here in southern New England is pretty spotty this week too so I have no smoking plans. Probably just some steaks or burgers on the grill between the rain drops.

Food looks good...sometimes you gotta improvise. I cooked a brisket couple years ago and 3 hours before it was done we get a hail storm...had to pull it, and finish it @ the firehouse on the pellet grill.

Reactions: JC in GB
Great job under pressure!!!

Thank you Hawg.

Looks good! Very nice clean bone-pull :) The weather here in southern New England is pretty spotty this week too so I have no smoking plans. Probably just some steaks or burgers on the grill between the rain drops.

Sounds like a plan WaterRat. I tried to sneak this one in. Mother Nature isn't playing nice this year.

Food looks good...sometimes you gotta improvise. I cooked a brisket couple years ago and 3 hours before it was done we get a hail storm...had to pull it, and finish it @ the firehouse on the pellet grill.

Thanks inda and for the like, I thought about the oven, but I had just started this smoke and didn't want tie up the oven for the day.

Chris

Nice save!!
Everything looks delicious!
To get thru hard bark & soft meat without shredding the meat, an electric knife works really well!
Al

Nice save!!
Everything looks delicious!
To get thru hard bark & soft meat without shredding the meat, an electric knife works really well!
Al

Thanks Al for the pointer and point. I should have thought of the electric knife.

@weev and @cornman thanks for the like.

Chris

Well done on the solo rescue mission, Chris, your babies certainly didn't come to any harm because of it & look delicious. For the same reason, I have a conservatory that smells similar to your garage. Auto air fresheners & having the doors open haven't yet got rid, methinks it'll take a wee while, but at least it's a nice smoke smell. :emoji_wink:

Well done on the solo rescue mission, Chris, your babies certainly didn't come to any harm because of it & look delicious. For the same reason, I have a conservatory that smells similar to your garage. Auto air fresheners & having the doors open haven't yet got rid, methinks it'll take a wee while, but at least it's a nice smoke smell. :emoji_wink:

Thanks Fran for the kind words and like, appreciate them. The garage is slowly coming back to normal. The wife wasn't to thrilled but the pooch loved it, and we did sell the pool.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky