Brisket Cook (half day split cook)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AnnexTrunks

Original poster
Jan 10, 2019
Hi there, I’m smoking a brisket in about 10 days. It’ll be my 6th one I think, and due to time constraints I may have to cook it slightly differently.

Normally when I smoke these, I sit fireside the entire time and just enjoy life and the smell of the fire and the meat. I power through the 10+ hours required before I relax a bit while the brisket rests.

My questions is (been studying split cooks across 2 days), If I smoke this until about 165 for however long that takes, pull it off, wrap it up really well in foil, warm towels and put inside a cooler, will it be ok to let it hang out in there for like 4-6 hours, and THEN put it back on a heat source (my remote controlled electric smoker), will the brisket endure? It won’t go bad not being heated or chilled overnight, correct?

Hi there, I’m smoking a brisket in about 10 days. It’ll be my 6th one I think, and due to time constraints I may have to cook it slightly differently.

Normally when I smoke these, I sit fireside the entire time and just enjoy life and the smell of the fire and the meat. I power through the 10+ hours required before I relax a bit while the brisket rests.

My questions is (been studying split cooks across 2 days), If I smoke this until about 165 for however long that takes, pull it off, wrap it up really well in foil, warm towels and put inside a cooler, will it be ok to let it hang out in there for like 4-6 hours, and THEN put it back on a heat source (my remote controlled electric smoker), will the brisket endure? It won’t go bad not being heated or chilled overnight, correct?

My 2 cents cook it all the way,don't trust a cooler to do what you want.If you can't cook it til done put it in an oven at the lowest temp to take the risk out.
Richie

What Richie said Hold it in the oven

Gary

Either your plan or the guys suggestion will work. A 165 inside, 225+ outside brisket, foil wrapped, towel covered chunk of meat, placed in a smallish cooler, will hold hot 5-6 hours. Additionally, going in at 165 all internal and external bacteria are dead. All that wrapping and closed cooler will not allow recontamination, so there are no safety issues, even if the meat temp was to fall well below 140. The oven set at 150 or higher will also hold the meat and continue the cook. From a Safety stand point, IF no one will be home during the hours you will be away, the cooler is a much better choice than an unattended oven...JJ

Thanks everyone. I think due to weather (being cold) I’ll be putting in the oven at the lowest setting for a few hours.

On a side note, each brisket I do (recently) seems to hit 190-205 faster than I plan for, I think because my average temp is closer to 300. I’m still learning my smoker (offset char-grilled). I tend to let it keep going but at a much lower heat source and it comes out fine, but I read other people pull them right AT 190, or 203 instead of leaving them on like I do.
Does it truly matter?

Thanks everyone. I think due to weather (being cold) I’ll be putting in the oven at the lowest setting for a few hours.

On a side note, each brisket I do (recently) seems to hit 190-205 faster than I plan for, I think because my average temp is closer to 300. I’m still learning my smoker (offset char-grilled). I tend to let it keep going but at a much lower heat source and it comes out fine, but I read other people pull them right AT 190, or 203 instead of leaving them on like I do.
Does it truly matter?
The longer I smoke meat the more convinced I am that the only thing that matters is if the meat tastes and feels like you want it to. BBQ is a form of art where each person can create a flavor and texture profile just like they want. Our methods are merely brush strokes to achieve the finished masterpiece.

Beyond that, nothing else matters.

Disclaimer: Food safety matters ;-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky