Brisket, Butts, and Yard Bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2009
Fruita, Colorado
A really good guy that works for me is hosting his son's first birthday and baptism bash this weekend and asked me if I would "smoke up some stuff for about a 100 people".. HELL's YEAH! I says... so I took the day off and I'm going with brisket, butt, and some yard bird. Picked up three packers, 14, 16, and 18#'s, two butts, and will be spatchcocking and brining the birds tonight and smoking them tomorrow right before the event.

Sharing this mostly because of the spatchcocked brisket
lol.gif
I'm sure this has been done, but I've never tried this. Basically peeled out the large hunk of fat from the corner of the point, then semi-separated the point from the flat, removing a lot of the excess fat between the two. I found that you GOTTA be careful trimming the top side so as to not fully separate them in that process. I separated the belly side right down to the point, and the back side down until I ran out of meat on the point... 2/3 to 3/4 down if that makes sense.

I'm hoping this turns out!
noidea.gif

Rub - did a combo of Canadian Steak seasoning and dried basil, ran through my redneck spice grinder, and granulated garlic - finger test was
thumb.gif
. Applied some worsty and soy, then rub a dub dubbed them.

Spatchcocked
banana_smiley.gif

I ended up scoring the top side so that I could see where the meat was... worked great... wish I would have thought of that on the first two!

Hitting them with hickory and oak at 225* MEAT ON!!

Here we are at six hours.
Small brisky at 157
Large briky at 149..
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

Brisket and shoulders at 170'ish, pulled and foiled, and back in to 185.  I want the brisket to be firm enough to slice, and will be chunking the pork vs. pulling it.  Points cut into chunks with rub and back into the smoker. I'll sauce and finish those tomorrow.

The spatchcock on the brisket worked pretty slick, one clean swipe and they were separated.

Yard Birds coming later today!

Thanks for checking out my post.

Tracey

Looks Great Tracey, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you!!!

Nice Bearview too!!!

Thanks Buddy!

Bear

N I C E !!!

Had to put a mark on this one, so I don't miss the finish! When you said spatchcocked brisket, I thought it was a typo, and punched into to the wrong section of the write-up...nope, it's not a chicken gettin' it's back broke...LOL!!!

Good grief, I love the color you're getting with the soy/worsty...the oak takes a good amount of credit for that as well, I suspect.

Patiently waiting................

Eric

N I C E !!!

Had to put a mark on this one, so I don't miss the finish! When you said spatchcocked brisket, I thought it was a typo, and punched into to the wrong section of the write-up...nope, it's not a chicken gettin' it's back broke...LOL!!!

Good grief, I love the color you're getting with the soy/worsty...the oak takes a good amount of credit for that as well, I suspect.

Patiently waiting................

Eric

Thanks a lot, Eric - it all turned out great.

Here's the wrap up post.  I didn't get any chopped pictures of the chicken - got way too busy.

Here's the brisket cold sliced this morning - waiting for some top rack reheat action.

Yard Bird!! Brined for 12 hours using Tip's Slaughter House brine, then a little rub, a little garlic, and a little lemon pepper.

Smoked at 300 for 2.5 hours to 165.  I killed the smoker and just let them set for another 30 minutes and they were perfect.

And the coolest signs EVER!!!
thumb.gif
My daughters are quite the arTeests... I'm lucky to draw a good thought on most days... Hopefully these will survive for a while.

Thanks for following the saga!!!!

That's cool when the kid's get that kind of enthusiasm going for a gathering. Sounds and looks like a great event!

I will say, when you really get comfortable with outdoor cooking, the family reunions, church or work events and other functions where larger numbers will attend seem to bring out the best in all of us. I have a blast doing them, myself...sometimes a bit challenging, but still alot of fun to pull it off, and, it gives you a great sense of satisfaction. The smiling faces eating the meal you prepared just takes it over the top. And, if you get a potluck meal going? Oh, my, the amount of varied dishes that are brought to the table can be mind-boggling, and all great eats.

Great effort, and beautiful outcome!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky