Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
when i did my cure i coated it completely with vegetable oil then got about half a chimney lit of charcoal, putt in and let it ride for about 30 minutes just to let everything warm up, then i added 3 good size splits and got a really hot fire going and just let it burn itself down to nothing. all in all it was about 4-5 hours

Hey guys, I'm real new & had a general question, but since I'm going to buy a BTLE, this is as good of place as any to ask it.

How do I do a "cure" or seasoning of the smoker? How hot? Just charcoal? Do I need to put a fire in the main cooking area too?

I plan on having all the materials ready to do the mods as I assemble it, then cure it the next day (so the silicon is fully cured) then maybe it's madien smoke that afternoon or the next day.

Thanks.
It's a simple process.

Get some oil in the spray can and spray the entire inside of the cooking chamber and firebox, racks included, and put all the racks in the cooking chamber.

place an entire 6 to 10 pound bag of charcoal in the fire box to burn. get it to 275 for about 2 hrs and then try and get it to 400 for 2hrs.

after all charcoal has burned out and the smoker has cooled spray a light coating of oil on the outside of the smoker.

If you plan on keeping it under a tarp and you live in an area that goes through the 4 seasons, remember to spray it after each use when it has cooled before you place the tarp or cover on it. This helps to slow or prevent rusting of the firebox and other parts. 

Reactions: remmy700p
Reactions: jwg299
Nice, Looks Great.   One thing check the vent you have extending down to the grate  you may wind up with stale smoke, that may need to be raised about half way,  

gary

Hitman,  Some people will extend their stack down as you did but usually have an upper and lower grate and they go to the top grate. By going down as you have your you will wind up with stale smoke and won't like the taste of your food. What a lot of people are doing is putting a plenum on the end half way which seems to work really well. My stack on my RF is on top and only extends down about 2"

Just a little more explanation so you will know

Gary

Hitman,  Some people will extend their stack down as you did but usually have an upper and lower grate and they go to the top grate. By going down as you have your you will wind up with stale smoke and won't like the taste of your food. What a lot of people are doing is putting a plenum on the end half way which seems to work really well. My stack on my RF is on top and only extends down about 2"

Just a little more explanation so you will know

Gary
Thanks for the Info Gary

Good, Be waiting on the next smoke and see it it goes a little better

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky