Brinkman Smoke n Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am just over 2 hrs into the maiden voyage with the SnP. Right now I have brisket, slab of ribs and a pan of Dutch's wicked beans on there.

I didnt replace the thermo on the lid, but I did buy one that sits on the grill inside from Lowes. When I put the ribs in, it was right at 200 deg. Now is this a good number or do I need to add more lump charcoal and get it higher? I do have a thermometer in the brisket and it is at 108 deg right now. The alarm will go off at 170 for me to foil it then take it on up. For the ribs, I have never been able to get them right in the ECB. I am going to try the 3-2-1 method with them and see how they turn out. It will either be a great feast or an expensive first time experiment... Hoping for the great feast..

Mike

I would add some more lump. You want the temps at least 225. I add a good sized handful of lump about every hour on mine to keep the temps steady. The 3-2-1 method will make your ribs very fall off the bone tender. I dont foil ribs cause I like a little bite to mine. Sounds like you got a good feast going today.

I added about half a chinmey full of regular charcoal and will try to check it every hr and add more if needed.

Appreciate all the helpful replys. This site has really been great to learn tips and tricks from experienced smokers. I am still pretty new to it and want to keep working on getting it right. so thanks everyone..

mike

Well my brisket has been setting at 154 deg for some time now. I hit the plateau I think. Brisket has been going for almost 7 hrs now.

The ribs didnt work out too well. I had beef ribs and was trying to do the 3-2-1, which is too long after doing some reading on here. I foiled after 3 hrs and then pulled them off the grill after an hr in the foil. They are dry. Now I know that its more like 2-2-1 for the beef ribs. Lesson learned on them.... now just hope the brisket gets up to the 170 mark so I can foil it. The beans came out pretty good, but very spicy...

mike

You've got the answer drowzy. I thought about that after I took off my warming rack, but what the hell...my wife didn't care and I used it only once to rest my tongs once when moppin' meat!

I think I may have found something that will work for the smokestack mod. I was at Lowes today and was looking around for something to try and ended up getting a 7" stackvent. I had to do some cutting, but then rolled it up to where it fit up into my smokstack and have it going down to the grate. Now does this sound like it would help with my SnP temps. the smokestack is extended down. I thought I might give it a try.. Next will be some sort of baffle...

and the brisket was pretty good, but I did finish it in the oven because it was getting late and we were starving...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky