Brining...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Unique Name

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
Howdy, y'all!
I'm gonna blast out a Pork picnic tomorrow and was gonna try a different brine.
I've heard of the usual cola/Dr pepper brines and injections.
I'm feeling funky and was thinking about trying an orange soda brine.
Any thoughts, warnings, concerns, etc?
Thanks for any and all replies!

do not use sodas if you are using cure (nitrite) or any acidic additions... It breaks down the nitrite..

do not use sodas if you are using cure (nitrite) or any acidic additions... It breaks down the nitrite..
Hey, Dave. I'm afraid your post is a bit outside my realm of understanding.
Could you elaborate more on this for me?

Dave is thinking in terms of a curing brine which contains nitrite (pink cure)you’d use to brine it into ham. I think your are talking more about just something to soak it in and / or inject for flavor.

Dave is thinking in terms of a curing brine which contains nitrite (pink cure)you’d use to brine it into ham. I think your are talking more about just something to soak it in and / or inject for flavor.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes. Just soak the picnic in some spices and soda. Maybe some orange slices.

If you're looking to do something a little citrus-y, you might try searching for a recipe for Cuban mojo pulled pork. Most things you find will probably give you slow cooker directions, but there are some out there with good brine/marinade recipes that you could soak/inject with before smoking.

I have several pinned on my Pinterest page that I haven't got around to trying yet.

Reactions: Unique Name
If you're looking to do something a little citrus-y, you might try searching for a recipe for Cuban mojo pulled pork. Most things you find will probably give you slow cooker directions, but there are some out there with good brine/marinade recipes that you could soak/inject with before smoking.

I have several pinned on my Pinterest page that I haven't got around to trying yet.
Thanks for the reply, Preacher.
I'll look into that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky