Brining Pork Shoulder!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have never tried a brine, not even on a turkey. Quick question, does the brine need to be changed regularly for sanitary reasons or no? Thanks for the help
I brine all poultry and most cuts of pork.  I do it for flavor profile but it does help with the moisture too.  I see above that someone brines for 2 to 7 days.  I've never brined anything longer than 3 days and no, I did not change the brine.  Brining poultry longer than 24 hours is not recommended but I have brined both chicken and turkey for 48 hours with no problems.

When I brine I also inject at the start of the brining period.  On poultry I just inject the breast meat.  Then into the brining bag, seal it up air tight, then in the refrigerator or a cooler filled with ice.

By injecting you can get away with much shorter brining periods, like 12 hours, but I can tell the difference in the taste between a meat that has been short brined compared to 24 hours or longer.

I use Ziplock bags for brining.  I have 2, 3, and 10 gallon sizes.  The 2 gallon gets the most use.  3 gallon next most used.  The 10 gallon I use just for big turkeys.  The 3 and 10 gallon sizes are actually storage bags but they are food safe.

Last edited:
I brined a pork roast and a pack of wings last nite.  Put the roast on at 0830 this morning. Check out first pic. I'll be posting more pics throughout the smoke today.

Once I brined a pork roast with some aromatics like cardamom and coriander, and it turned out tasting like a giant frankfurter.

Once I brined a pork roast with some aromatics like cardamom and coriander, and it turned out tasting like a giant frankfurter.
If the taste reminded you of a frankfurter, that would be off-putting, unless it was your intention and you expected it, of course...assuming this was not your intent, lesson learned, and we learn what we do or do not like by trying new things.

Some spices just don't go well with certain preparations or meats, while others can make it shine. Keep your ingredients simple and basic if you want to experiment with a brine or dry rub. Taste and smell the blend as you build it, before settling on trying it...this will tell you much about the blend, and you can modify it to suit your preference. I never use a spice blend without smelling and tasting it first, bearing in mind the mingling of flavors from meat and smoke.

Realizing the subtle flavor characteristics, some spice blends may not suit your taste for a particular cut/species of smoked meat (or a specific type of wood) while it may give a better match for char-grilling. That same blend may be too bland when grilled over a gas flame where additional layers of flavor and aroma may be to your liking, as an example. So, if you really want to build a specific flavor profile, you need to consider the cooking method, type of (or lack of) smoke, and any additional flavors you will get from the fuel source, such as hardwood lump or charcoal. When grilling, I stay away from gas, mostly due to the lack of additional flavor potential.

I don't brine often...usually it's a spur of the moment situation where my previously frozen meat has thawed too early or will thaw too late for my original planned cooking date, which isn't normal for me...but when I do brine it is generally to extend the refrigerated life of the meat, and I try to follow a flavor profile which will enhance my final seasoning (dry rub and/or finishing sauce [which I also rarely use]) and intended cooking method. As for use of brines for enhanced moisture retention in the pork, yes it does help to some degree, but I noticed this mostly with pork that was not previously enhanced (not cryovac packed). I have refined my smoking method just to give me that extra assurance for moisture retention, and that is what I use faithfully now.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky